I Forge Iron

Nordic Vs. German Hammers

Sure it's possible to use a hammer and not dress it, it happens all the time. Folk just pick them up and bang away and happy as clams all the days of their life. I have some hammers that I use in my jewelry work that have really pitted faces and I wouldn't dress them for nothing, I love the texture they impart to the silver sheet, wonderful stuff when you put a LOS finish on. So NO you do not have to dress you hammer it can go bare naked and still forge your metal.

It is always a question of what effect you are going for, and your hammer control. I have a horse shoers crosspein made by Chip Hunt. It is a nice little hammer with a long thin handle, but the round face has only a mild chamfer around the edge, and the face of the hammer is nearly flat. It is a VERY unforgiving hammer;-), but when I am tuned up and working a lot I can pick that hammer up and leave a nice flat slightly faceted surface. You modify your technic and your tools to get the affect you are going for, in that order;-) No sense butchering your tools, when just a bit more attention to detail, and better hammer control can do the job... I like using whatever hammer is going to give me the effect I want, I don't get consistant enough forge time to just use the edges of an 8# Hofi style club like Brian Brazeal can, wish I could;-)

Christian
Husband
Father
Blacksmith
Farrier
Farmer
The rest just keeps getting in the way