I Forge Iron

Finishing

As far as blade finishing goes, with limited access to power tools,( and I prefer hand work anyway) what would be the proper steps for finishing a blade? I figure work you'r way down through sandpaper grits, finishing with a fine grit, but as far as buffing etc? what would be the best process to get the best results in the shortest period of time?

Hand Finishing and shortest amount of time don't tend to intersect....However

Many makers don't buff; just taking it up through 1000 and 2000 grit.

Learning to love a satin finish at a lower grit.

Look into burnishing rather than buffing.

Invest in power tools.

Biggest way to get good results is to not stint abrasives or time at the lower levels and keep every thing clean and separated in their own sealed boxes so you don't cross contaminate your abrasives!

Best way to speed things up is to get good hammering so you can get close to final dimension in the forge.
Remove scale (vinegar, sandblasting, etc) before starting with abrasives
Keep your files CLEAN and un pinned!
Make a filing vise---the better your working conditions the better/faster a job you can do.

Thanks! I have decent files, and a couple of grinders, but I prefer the control of hand work. I'll try the vinegar thing, seems like a good way to clean... Thanks for the tips!

Keltoi

Hand Finishing and shortest amount of time don't tend to intersect....However

Many makers don't buff; just taking it up through 1000 and 2000 grit.

Learning to love a satin finish at a lower grit.

Look into burnishing rather than buffing.

Invest in power tools.

Biggest way to get good results is to not stint abrasives or time at the lower levels and keep every thing clean and separated in their own sealed boxes so you don't cross contaminate your abrasives!

Best way to speed things up is to get good hammering so you can get close to final dimension in the forge.
Remove scale (vinegar, sandblasting, etc) before starting with abrasives
Keep your files CLEAN and un pinned!
Make a filing vise---the better your working conditions the better/faster a job you can do.