I Forge Iron

Gas forge value ?

woodsmith

I have recently come across a gas forge and melter from a local highschool, and am trying to come up with a fair value approximation, I know a lot of these values can be pretty vague, like whatever two fools agree upon, but Im just going for a ballpark figure, I havent even found any relevent sales or E-bay type prices to go by yet. The forge is a Mcenglevan natural gas, 24" flat hearth, speedy melt F100a I beleve is the proper name, hearth is in very good shape, refractory inside the fire pot needs a little work, the melter is a mcenglevan speedy melt, also fair shape, model C-10, capacity 10-20 pounds alluminum, 30-60 lbs brass.
any input would be appreciated
Thanks Woodsmith

A couple years ago I missed a bid on a complete petrobond foundry kit including the speedy melt furnace (used but in decent shape) . It went for $1200.00 and I'm still kicking myself for not going the distance on that one. Another one I missed on craigslist was a vertually new one for $2000.00. it came with 2 100# propain tanks and couple crucibles. Hope this helps :D

Back around 10 years ago when Columbus OH was dropping their metal shop programs I saw a number of such items go at auction (and bought several things as well) Lets see the fast muller was about $25 the Heat treat Furnace/forge was $40 Foundry furnace was $80, 55 gallon drum of petrobond oil and a 5 gal drum of activator was $5---the first time things came up for auction.

The next auction that had such things for sale everything doubled---used machinery dealers would not spend much on spec so when something new appeard they wouldn't buy and then they would go research what they could get for them and if there was a market and *next* auction bit them up to what they were willing to pay.)

Recently I traded a Johnson gas forge mixer control box to a smith who had one of their slot forges but no mixer for a bunch of anvil tooling---he got a great deal as replacement cost was over $1000. I got a great deal as I needed tooling for 1.5" hardy holes and he had some top swages that could be forged to fit.