I Forge Iron

Chimney ?

Buel508,

The chimney system is a mass flow device. You want gas velocity and you need to minimize reistance to flow in the piping. The heat of the gas and the configuration of the hood structure and the the smoke shelf start the velocity. Research the smoke shelf venturi concept so you understand the principle, this is important. The number of directional changes (elbows) and the structure at the top (cap) of the chimney add to the loss of the velocity and hence the effectiveness of the system in exhausting the gasses. Use the largest diameter pipe as is practical, 10 inch seems to be the most popular and reasonable price wise.

In regard the height of the stack above the nearest peak. 10 feet is an acceptable lateral distance from the closest peak where you do not have to worry about going above the peak line. Anything less than an 8 pitch roof is more forgiving in regard proxmity to the peak. Shed style roof systems, popular in warmer areas, almost have no effect on the draft. Conversely, the steep pitches (> 8-12) typically found in new England have a more pronounced effect on draft. Be guided accordingly.

Spend some time doing the research on the stack and the hood configuration, these are the parts you have control over, it will serve you well.

• 1 month later...

You want your chimney to terminate two feet above the point where a ten foot stick held horizontal, would contact both the roof and the chimney at the same time. If you come to the peak of the roof before you reach the ten foot between point, then go just two feet above that. For some reason the pitch of the roof messes with the draft below that. That is industry standard in furnace installations in homes and such. I moved into a home where the wood stove chimney did not meet this standard and I tried outsmarting the physics but I just couldn't get my stove to draft till I rebuilt the chimney to code.