I Forge Iron

Actually bought a new hammer!

rlarkin

Glad to hear about your new hammer.

Please add your location to your profile so people can tailor answers to your location.

You can place your location in the "Location" in the "Other Information" section of the forums "Profile". An example can be seen under my Avatar. :D

How to put (re-add) a location under your Avatar
(because it was apparently lost during the conversion... oops.)
Step 1. Click on your name on the upper right hand corner of this screen for example Bob would click on “Mainely.Bob”.
Step 2. Scroll down and Click on "My Profile"
Step 3. Chick on “Edit My Profile” button near the upper right corner of the screen.
Step 4. Scroll down in the next screen to “Other Information” heading on the screen.
Step 5. In the “Location ” box, type your location into this box.
Step 6. Scroll to the bottom of this screen and click on the box that says, “Save Changes”.

I hope this helps. If not let me know where I may need to elaborate.

Unicorn, Info is, ..there since Dec, 07.Apparently the new software did not do the conversions.

You are absolutely correct. Perhaps I should say "re-add to the Profile" as that would be more correct and concise, thank you in helping clarify. (I am just another participant, not a moderator.)

i bought myself a new hammer too with xmas money:) a 2.5lb craftsmen cross peen from sears needed to get a smaller hammer the on i normaly use is a 3.5lb crosspeen it was gettin a little heavy

I have lots of hammers, but I have the craftsman hammer which is almost 11 years old. 1 year ago I polished it and put my own hand made handle in it. Recently, I was going to retire it. So, I picked up a new craftsman hammer about a month ago. I polished it and reshaped the handle. My old craftsman has a really narrow peen, the newer one is broader, and I reshaped the peen on the new hammer to be even more broad. Once I got the hammer to where it felt real good, I forged with it all day. It was easy to get used to. But, the next day as I was admiring it, I noticed a large flat dent on the corner of the face. I know that I had it polished really well, and I also know that I was drawing stuff out with some real force, but nothing as brutal as I have in the past. This dent was caused by drawing out using the edge. The newer craftsman hammer just isn't as hard as the old one. It is noticably different in stock form, and when I got it into shape for use, under the paint I can see the differential heat treat zones, but I think that I am going to have to remove the handle and heat treat it myself.

i really like the one i bought from sears i was useing it pretty hard and didnt notice and dents thats kinda weird
My first hammer was a 3.5lber from tractor supply the handel split length wise and i used electrical tape and taped the whole handle up cause i didnt have an extra at the time that was 3 years ago its still like that