I Forge Iron

ornamental wing nuts

I am looking for examples of large (1/2 thread) and small (1/4 thread) ornamental wing nuts. I am putting finishing touches on a large woodworking bench and a wood mortising machine and the standard wing nut looks out of place. I have a complete blacksmith shop and a machine shop, I just lack the art talent. Pictures, drawings or links would be a great help. Thanks

thanks for the examples. I am looking for more ornate examples of file work and variations of the rams horn and hofi designs. There are likely a lot of antique american and european wing nuts that would be a good start point for my own design if I could find where to look. I am shooting for an overall level of attention to detail similar to antique scientific instrument construction like you would see in Tylers museum in Holland, although I do not expect to get that good, it would take a lifetime of practice.

May I respectively suggest the Tylers museum in Holland?

The collection of about 1200 instruments mainly from the 18th and 19th c. belongs mostly to physics.
I am sure there are photos somewhere of the collection. Once you have the idea or photo of what you want, you can then reverse engineer how they forged their wingnuts, and forge your own.

A quick search of the internet offered the following -----> click here.

I have visited there four times, took a lot of photos, did a lot of drawings, but do not have any wing nut closeups. Most adjustment knobs were knurled brass. I was more interested in the high level woodwork combined with ornate metalwork. Craftsmanship to shoot for (and probably never get close). They were making a tool, but it was also a work of art. The most impressive was a static electricity generator hand cranked by two men that threw a three foot bolt of lightning - a real crowd pleaser in its day.

Edited by Cherryforge