I Forge Iron

Whistling Regulator

Humphry

Hello out there,
This isn't traditional smithing, but it's may be a problem. The gas regulator on my hobart handler is whistling when i turn it on. When this starts the gas supply stops. Any suggestions? Should I turn it down,stop useing it for repair, is it freezing? I use an Argon/co2 mix. Humphry:confused:

It sounds a little like a damaged diaphram or perhaps debris has found it's way into the works, probably NOT the second.
Take it to a shop where a certified tech can repair it. It should NOT be freezing unless it's been sitting in the rain a while, welding gas 75-25 or 70-30 is dry, nothing to freeze.

Do NOT take it apart yourself! BAD things can happen.

Frosty

Thanks Frosty,for the good advice on tinkerin the thing myself. I had similar thoughts. Thought I might cycle the gas supply up and down abit and see what happens from there.
This is the unit that came with the welder so it's not high end. They offer repair service at Maine OXY where I bought it.
Thanks again. Humphry

Things get quite coldon account of the temperature drop of the shielding gas going through the regulator. While that shielding gas is very dry, the air outside isn't; remember that one side of that diaphragm is in contact with the atmosphere.

I don't know what's up with your regulator, but for chattering regulators I will turn the flow rate up high then bring it back down to where it should be; that usually does the job.

For freezing, I hang a trouble light right on the regulator and put a small cardboard box over top; I have an extra work light just for warming regulators.

Humphry: If you want to just cycle the psi up and down you'll be okay. It works best to do it when there's a draw so the gas is flowing to blow any debris on through. I have a hobart 120 handler at least 15 years old with the stock reg and have had zero problems with it.

Jer

Things get quite coldon account of the temperature drop of the shielding gas going through the regulator. While that shielding gas is very dry, the air outside isn't; remember that one side of that diaphragm is in contact with the atmosphere.

I don't know what's up with your regulator, but for chattering regulators I will turn the flow rate up high then bring it back down to where it should be; that usually does the job.

For freezing, I hang a trouble light right on the regulator and put a small cardboard box over top; I have an extra work light just for warming regulators.

Cami: That sounds about right. Living on an island is a high humidity environment I don't have to contend with. Anchorage is pretty dry on average so I don't have your experience.

I'd give Cami's advice a shot Humphry.

Frosty

• 3 weeks later...