I Forge Iron

Request for Qualifications (public art)

These lower budget RFQ are great for someone trying to get their foot in the door. Could be an opportunity for some forged or fabricated metalwork.

The City of Campbell is excited to announce a Request for Qualifications (RFQ) from artists interested in creating, fabricating and installing public artwork for the Stojanovich Family Park Project. The Stojanovich Family Park Project is a new proposed park in the City of Campbell within a high density residential area. The property is currently vacant and has never been developed, having been part of a fruit processing and drying facility supporting the City

Like many areas of CA the orchards, and other agricultural areas are being paved over. Not many people realize how much agricultural items come out of CA, up to 80% of some produce for the country. I grew up in Fairfield, not too far from Campbell. The foreign imports are killing some farmers. Apricots from Turkey are not as good of quality, but are only 1/3 the price. I hate to see this, as once it is urbanized, it is pretty well gone for good. Campbell is on the edge of Silicon Valley where chips are now grown instead of fruit.

I would suggest that anyone contemplating this project contact their local artist guild. I am a member of the Vegas Artist Guild, and our motto is "artists helping artists." We have had city, county, and college art reps come to our meetings, and explain how to put in for public art projects. It seems that the most common mistake is not following the directions that they put out. If they want 20 pictures, give them 20 pictures, not 5, 15, or 19. If they want them on a CD do not send slides. In some cases you have about 5 seconds to make an impression, because they have a huge volume of submissions to sort down. Your portfolio needs to be focused, and easily read / looked at. You need to make then go WOW! in seconds. Good clear detailed pictures. If you cannot take them hire a photographer to do them for you. The body of work should follow a pattern; you may be proficient in many mediums, but keep the submissions to one type / subject for a galley showing. It was admitted that in some cases a bad day is being had, and your work may get passed because of it. That same portfolio could be turned in again for a later request, and get accepted.