I Forge Iron

Some gate hardware I made

some simple gate hardware I made for a customer's wooden garden gate. Sure is nice to be hitting hot steel again after a 3 month break finishing and moving into my new shop.

I made three simple hinges from 3" x1/4" and 2" x1/4" flatbar all forged by hand, hinges rolled on the anvil, just using a piece 3/4" cold rolled round for a mandrel. I used 3/4" cold rolled for the pins. Finished over all dimensions are 22 1/2" long by 5 3/4" wide at the hinge pin

I made the gate handle from 1 1/4" round bar, 3" x 1/4" flatbar and some 1/2" round stock. The ball at the end of the handle is 1 1/2" and overall handle length is 13". The ball end and the taper on the handle were forged free hand on my 100lb little giant (don't have my nazel up and running in the new shop yet) everything else by hand.

655.attach

656.attach

657.attach

Thanks guys.

Cool. How about another picture with something in there for scale please. So you can see what size it is. Oh wait, I guess you don't have it anymore. Oh well. With the U shaped deal on the handle- did you make a tenon on each end and counter sink the holes in the back or what? Thanks

Tyler, you pretty much got it I tenoned the U shaped piece, and drilled and countersunk the backing plate, headed the tenons (whats the proper name for that anyways?) , but since they'll be a bunch of teenagers coming and going through this gate I then decided to give it alittle extra insurance and gave them a bit of mig weld just to stop it form ever wigglying loose (you'll never see it ;) )

I thought about something in the picture to scale it too, but my wife allready finished taking the pictures and sizing them for me. I plan on doing alot of forge work now that my shop is up and going so, I'll make sure I take lot of photo's.