I Forge Iron

building my forge questions

junkdaddy

i'm building my first forge and have a few questions. i'm using a standard 20# propane tank, i cut my openings front and back which are 8" x 3". i was wondering if i will be able to line the inside with kaowool thru these opening and be able to line it correctly, or do i need to cut a swinging front door to easly access the inside of the forge. also, i was wondering if anybody had any recommendations whether i should use one burner or two. i am only interested in forging, no welding ( i like my mig and tig welders) i am also open to any suggestions on what you see. thanks in advance.

19923.attach

19924.attach

Not that I have too much experience with gassers but the ones I have used have the ends open. It is much easier to set up your insulation and coat it and it is much more flexible in configuration for different jobs.

I would say that at least one end has to have a hinged door otherwise you will regret it later.

i live on the northwest side of chicago. i figured i should install a swinging front door, but didn't want to do the extra work. but i'm going install the swinging door. thanks for your help!!!! won't be another week or so before i get in the garage to work on it again, but i'll keep the progress updated. thanks again.

The hinged door is not needed. You can line the top with one section, and the bottom with another so the pieces fit. Just try to have the inner layer as continuous as possible. The wool folds and packs well. Coating will be ok as long as its not fastened down and you can flip the forge about to a comfortable position.

Phil

Phil, a tank like that is going to need a 2-3 foot strip of wool. Even if halved can you fold 1 1/2 foot of wool and cram it thru a 3X8 hole? then you have to do the ends, Put solid brick in the bottom, Then paint thru that 3X8 slot. Much easier to leave the end open or put in a door I think.
Ken

Forging is about changing the shape, and volume, of steel. That little door is going to set you to cussing the first time you put a bend or a split in anything. I would lop the whole end off, install some channel iron at the bottom entrance, and use boiler bricks , 2 upright, 1 horizontal, for the door. When pieces start getting big, slide the bricks out of the way, and keep working.

Junkdaddy, The hinged door looks nice. You will be happier with it in the long run.

Dragons Lair, I could easily fit 1 1/2 ft (18 inches) of 1 inch wool through a 3x8 slot. Fold in thirds and in it goes. Paper to make it slide easier through the opening. Unfold once inside.

Phil

• 1 month later...

MONDO Forge! rockon.gif

Great job of fabrication and the weld don't look too bad either. :P

The doors will come in handy, especially for maintenance - which you'll inevitably have to do.

A couple of suggestions. Coat the ceramic wool with a refractory/furnace cement - several layers to keep the fibers from becomming airborne (and ending up in your lungs) and then coat the refractory cement with ITC-100. The ITC-100 will reflect the heat back into the interior and increase the max temp possible and reduce the time it takes to get to temp - much more efficient. With a forge this large you'll need all the efficiency you can get.

Along those lines, add a cover for the rear slot. With your fabrication skills it should be easy. Stuffing a piece of ceramic wool in the slot and placing a steel cover over it will make a world of difference in how much heat you can retain - more efficiency.

Again - heck of a job, I can't wait to see it in operation!