I Forge Iron

First S hook, forged using corn.

Well, the weather wouldn't cooperate for making charcoal today. As the wind died down late, I decided to try using corn for a fuel. Worked like a charm and allowed me to forge my first "S" hook. I know I didn't clean up the hammer marks too well, but I was having a hard time seeing since it had gotten dark. Otherwise, please let me know what ya think.

Mark

19659.attach

That's a good first effort Mark. It is symetrical, well balanced and even.

Hammer marks, they tell me two things, first as said dressing your hammer will help. However, all of them are of the same orientation, the same edge is hitting. This tells me you are holding your hammer a bit cocked so the face isn't striking parallel with the anvil face. A little practice and attention to the effect should train this right out of your hand.

Frosty

Thank you for the comments. Indeed, I was using a brand new hammer, and it has sharp corners. I'm attending a short blacksmithing course over in Mississippi next weekend and was hoping the teacher could advise me on dressing the face. I don't want to wreck the hammer trying to dress it with no knowledge. Also, I'm sure I wasn't using the hammer well. It bounced unpredictably off the face of the anvil. I was not in my usual forging location, but had moved onto a concrete pad and my anvil was slightly (a milimeter or two)rocking on its base to make matters worse beyond my general lack of experience.

Corn Forging: I started a small charcoal fire in the forge, then poured corn around it. You get a rush of smoke that fills the fire pot, but burns off before it goes very far. I posted a bit more about it here with a picture:

http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/f85/charcoal-vs-corn-13989/index2.html

In Jackson at the Mississippi Craft Center. It's called A Taste of Blacksmithing. I'll be following that up in January or February with a more involved class. I met several of the folks from the MS Forge Council last weekend at a craft fair. Super helpful guys and I look forward to talking with them more. Thanks for the hint on buying coal. One of the fellows did mention that they buy it 22 tons at a time.

Mark