I Forge Iron

Tools?

Where is the best place online to buy tools such as wolf jaw tongs, hammers, punches and such? I like the look of the OC wolf jaw tongs, what size for 1/4" to 3/8" round and square stock, any opinions welcome as I am new to blacksmithing. Thanks, Randy

My two cents.....

I get my steel for the most part free at work. As for tongs, hammers, and the like Polarbearforge makes some good tong blanks. You can contact him here. But you should also look at meeting with area smiths and learning to make your own tools. Making a tool to make a tool is good. You can also look at flea markets, swap shops, or pawn shops, even looking on IFI in the Main Index - Blacksmithing Classifieds section can be helpful. Good luck and welcome.

Blacksmith depot is in North Carolina and will ship. They have all the things you are looking for and will ship to you. They have good prices and are good to deal with.

In the spirit of full disclosure I do supply Blacksmith Depot with swage blocks, cone mandrels and Firepots.

I purchased a pair of OC tongs (gooseneck V-bit (chainmaker) 1/2 inch 16 long), tong clips, and an Anvil Devil through Blacksmiths Depot
and was pleased with the turn around time on the order. I felt the shipping price was fair. Price for tongs seems rather similar for forged tongs at most places, regardless of brand. I am very pleased with these tongs, and even more pleased with the anvil devil since it works a treat for a hot or cold cut on up to 1/2 inch steel (maybe 3/4 inch hot in a pinch) and I didn't have a hardy in my anvil.

My only comment about size selection is if you use a gas forge get (or make) a pair that is 18 inch or longer to pull things close to the porch so you don't reach through dragon breath all the time.

Phil