I Forge Iron

Anvil ID & Price

I came across this 70 pounder and wanted to see what you all think about it in terms of price. It looks pretty rough to me, but then again I am no expert. It looks like it might be an Arm & Hammer or a Vulcan, but I can't see any trace of a logo in the pics.

Thanks!

19322.attach

19323.attach

19324.attach

19325.attach

19326.attach

Note Arm and Hammer anvils are traditionally made and so have slim elegant lines and the arm and hammer logo is stamped in.

Vulcans are a cast iron anvil with a thin steel face and the arm and hammer logo is cast out so it stands proud of the surface.

Very easy to tell which one is which at 50' away!

Trout line? Come on guys! This anvil has lasted longer than you and you want to use it as an anchor. The steel hard face may be thin and pitted but this is a real anvil not a ASO from HF. It is old but still usable for the beginning smith or even the more advanced smith and unless the fellow is asking an arm and a leg for it this will be a good usable anvil. Hey, we all can't start off with a Trenton, Hay-Budden or even a Fisher.

If I were to buy it, this would actually be my third anvil (I think I have anvilitis).

I just happened upon this one in my quest to find "the big one," but I have a hard time passing up even the smaller ones. I thought I should at least ask about it. :)

Trout line? Come on guys! This anvil has lasted longer than you and you want to use it as an anchor. The steel hard face may be thin and pitted but this is a real anvil not a ASO from HF. It is old but still usable for the beginning smith or even the more advanced smith and unless the fellow is asking an arm and a leg for it this will be a good usable anvil. Hey, we all can't start off with a Trenton, Hay-Budden or even a Fisher.

Possibly - but I certainly can't tell for sure one way or the other without close inspection and a rebound/spark test along with a maker confirmation. On the other hand, there are plenty of casting defects and no sign of a weld line at the face. In addition, the profile screams, "Cast!" so I still say it's an ASO unless good evidence is presented to the contrary. There were plenty of cast iron anvils made over the years before HF came along - the Mexicans have been importing them for 60 years through US steel distributors for those fab shops who think they need an 'anvil'.