I Forge Iron

Time to make order of mess

My son and I have a fair sized metal working shop {no working forge yet{ and also some woodworking eguipment. I have been collecting tools and shop equipment since highschool. So today I started looking at my blacksmith collection and came up with 3 coal fired forges, 1 new champion model 60{?} blower, 10 assorted tongs,{ also pokers, shovel, spoon, and other small misc.}, 2 anvils, vises, a small power hammer, and the list goes on! I guess the time has come to see where this might lead. I have worked iron cold and used cutting torch for hot iron bending. It is about time to fire the forge! but first the setup! Forget to mention I already have two bags of blacksmithing coal from W.V. As this takes shape I will keep posting and hope to add pictures. Armand

Be sure to let us see your first project! it really is addictive.
I had been working metal all my life and once I got my forge I suddenly felt like a complete fool for wasting all that hard work sweat and frustration trying to do things cold. Now I just waste all that hard work on hot metal...
And it's not nearly as frustrating.

Armand, Hello! My advice is don't try to "organize" your shop.
Why? Well, because you already have a mental inventory of everything you have and you know where everything is. Job done!
When my wife pokes her head in the door of my shop to say "dinner is ready", etc. I see her take a quick look around, her eyes bug out and her jaw drops then she shakes her head and leaves, I know where everything is and its all right where I put it! No problem.
The shop revolves around whatever masterpiece I am concocting and the cookies fall where they may, here there and everywhere but I know where it all is!!! All comfortably at hand in a sea of chaoss...