I Forge Iron

Champion Power Hammer in Seattle

From another website:

=== HAMMER ALERT ===

There's a 35 pound Champion power hammer for sale in Seattle. Pictures can be seen here: Champion Hammer - Album - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

They're asking $500.00, and will load onto your truck.

This is a sweet little hammer. I had one in my shop, and have seen this one in operation (both, a zillion years ago). This one has not seen much use for probably twenty years, but was working fine when yarded out about a week ago.

The dies are grooved for pointing gaff hooks, but there's plenty of meat left, and plenty of stroke to allow planing off for flat dies.

It's got a bodacious flat belt drive tower on it; will run as is if you've got the head room (motor is included - 5HP 3-phase), but personally, I'd strip all that off and run it with a 1 HP.
It's located in the back yard of the boatyard at Fishermen's Terminal; can be seen from outside the fence. Aim for the Ballard Bridge and go until you can't go any further. When you're ready, check at the office and ask for Joe (machine shop foreman) or call him on (206) 282-6421.

I'm posting this as a favor to them, (and to the group), so please don't pester them if all you want to do is gawk.

Let us all know who gets it. - Jack Slack

If someone really needs it more than me I'll give..... But if there are no takers by 9 or so Sunday night Im gonna lay claim. I had a couple of champion hammers and I really regret selling them, fantastic little workhorse. And I really think thats a number one (65lb) not a zero (35lb)

So.... Any other local guys that REALLY need a hammer? ( this would make 6 at my one man shop so I cant really say that I NEED it):)

Anyone that gets that hammer for $500 is getting a real steal!

There's another one [35# Champion ] for sale on Lopez Island, Wa. now as well. They are asking for more than $500 but it is worth it, IMO.

PM me and I'll give you the contact for the seller. Serious enquiries only please ! I'm just trying to help out an old friend.

Well, I want and need a hammer. I live real close to that hammer. Looking to make damascus bllits will it work for that?

Well if it is really a 35lb hammer I would say its awful light for welding damascus.. A Hydraulic press would me much better suited.... But as the man said, It could be done, Just like you can shoot holes in silver dollars thrown in the air....:D

Well it is a number 1 (65 lb) and in great shape. I was there at 7am waiting while eveyone had there coffee. About 730 I found Joe and told him I wanted it. He came out and looked at my trailer and we talked a bout how to load it. Went and found the crane operator and sent him out to rig it. Then we went up to the office and found the owner. Joe told him I was buying the hammer. He said. Nope just sold it to the guy on the phone. Joe argued with him a bit and said "hey this guys been here, is here now". The owner said well I told Clide it was his and he is driving down from Mount Vernon. I don't have a phone number and I'm not breaking my word". So. Long story short. I left without the hammer. I thought it was kinda crappy since I had already made the deal with who I thought I needed to be making the deal with but such is life. Nothing wasted but a few hours time. Really is a nice hammer. Much nicer than the #1 I got $3000 for a few years back

Unlucky......

You just have to be philosophical about it, if you were the guy that phoned and agreed to buy it with the owner, and you got there and someone had driven off with it you would have been more annoyed!

To be honest at $500 If I was in the same country I would have phoned and bought it the second I saw the pics! that price 'loaded' was a gift.... (if the states is anything like the UK you could spend $500 getting someone out to load the thing for you...!!)

Yeah I did. I had called Friday and left a message that I would buy the hammer and would be there first thing Monday to load it out. That was before Grant told me I should share. If I hadn't given my word I'd be there i might have waited till they opened and just called. You know if Clide needs the hammer, who ever he is well then so be it. If he was just buying it to resell and make a quick buck.. Well that wouldn't make me feel so good. The reason I an on the hunt for a small hammer is to make a portable machine to take to hammerins and our semi annual conferances. I don't want to exactly give it to our group but I want it to be available for classes demos and other group affiliated functions. of course the rest of the time I would Be working the little guy. Even though the champion was ideal in both price and ability I'm sure another machine will come along that will fit the bill. It's just another day. Somedays your the pidgen. Some days your the sidewalk