I Forge Iron

Coal

Normally I pay anywhere from $8 to $12 per 50lb bag - I pay about about $75 for 100lb of propane. I only use coal for demo's and like the convenience of gas - being able to turn my forge on and off and having it up to temp in just a few minutes is nice, plus I save fuel by only burning when I need to.

My two cents......

There is a mine just over the border from me in BC that sells Met coal for $169USD per metric tonne (2100lbs). Wish I could move that much. But I did just get a great deal on some from an IFI member just recently. Deals are relative. If you drive 2 hours to buy good quality coal but only buy 2 bags, not a deal. Buy 4+ and or co-op with some local smiths in the same boat as you, then you can get a great deal.

Dont know if Durham is your last name, or if it is your location in NC. If it is the location, I have a lead on some coal in Roxboro, but I haven't bought any from the guy yet. He's selling for $10 a 50# bag. There is also a guy in Pittsboro selling Sewell coal. The last time I bought from him, it was $12.50 a 50# bag.

I am in Oregon and currently pay about $23 per 50 lb bag and have to drive about 1/2 hr one way to get it.

I too am wondering if a propane forge would end up being cheaper for the fact that I can buy fuel right down the street, and for the fact that it's easier to work on multiple projects without fear of burning my stuff up.....

I am JEALOUS of you guys that buy 2,000 lbs of coal for around the same price that I buy 200.........

Edited by Brasilikilt