I Forge Iron

Forge wleding my steel bloom

Greetings!!

It has been more than a century since I have posted here....been lurking mostly :D So, I decided to share my latest work/project. I have been gaining a keen interest in smelting my own steel from iron ore. I have been posting on DonFogg's forums, so have a look and tell me what you think =]

The first link is me making my steel. The second is me making something out of the steel :cool:

My first smelt - Bladesmith's Forum Board

Started work on my bloom - Bladesmith's Forum Board

Feel free to aks any questions. I will, if neccessary, eat my own words :rolleyes:

Any lurking blacksmiths with questions about welding are more than wlecome to chime in. I was having the same issues you were, and help was greatfuly recieved from awsome dudes on this forum.

Cheers dudes!

P.S- Happy Thanksgiving to all!

My kind of post ! Will give that a try when the weather improves in the spring. Not in the same league but this summer i built a wood fired pizza oven from clay and straw and was impressed with what you can do with this material. Lots of flooding around here at the moment and i was getting my clay from the local river so need to wait till that subsides. Got a nice squirrel type blower fan from an industrial gas fired tube heater which should supply lots of air and my son's just started an apprenticeship as a tree surgeon so need to look at converting free wood offcuts into my own charcoal.
Best of luck with the project.

ime inpressed with how well your forge works with something so simple almost crude....and the back patio shop is inpressive ! it just goes to show that you dont have to have all the fancy tools to do good work! i didnt see what you were useing for ore to smelt into bloom but it looks like you have got the right idea ! have fun!