I Forge Iron

I'm a young female blacksmith building a business at the moment. Have had a workshop built, forge made, bought anvils and excessories and its ready to go. But now i'm on the search for fuel. Whilst at college I used Coke. But now i'm out on my own I'd thought i'd have a look around, and have come across, WELSH BEAN, ANTHRACITE and COKE. the 1st two bein between

welcome to IFI Frisky! :)

forging with coal is a whole different beasty to coke as we know it in the UK and I'm afraid that I have little experience with it (also the only coal I've forged in was given to me without a name). You should be able to weld in any of those, but I suspect that working out how best to manage the coal fires will take a bit of trial and error.

You could ask your nearest smith to find out where they source their fuel from, most will be using coke. To be honest I can't think of any UK smiths who routinelty use coal? whether it's gas, coal or coke it will likely be cheaper than charcoal.

Maybe give John Bellamy (JohnB here) a call, he is the chairman(?) of the Wessex Guild of smiths and has worked with coals and cokes for longer than I'm sure the would care to remember. ;)

Hi young lady, and welcome to the site, I would suggest you keep away from the anthracite, Welsh Beans could be anything and may well work well depending on which pit it came from, Welsh Steam coal used to be excellent for 'smithing, but some varieties produce a lot of clinker, and are very different to coke as in the fire management techniques required.

Before committing to a ton load of untried fuel, I would suggest getting a sack of each and try them first, or stick with what you know.

The Wessex Guild is now known as the Blacksmiths Guild Blacksmiths Guild Home and on Saturday we will be at Finch Foundry at Sticklepath near to Okehampton for the St Clems day blacksmith gathering, Why not come along and ask some questions there. There is a busload of students coming from Kingston Maurward College you may be able to arrange a lift with as I think they have a couple of spare seats.

If I know you are coming, then I can bring some coal samples along for you to look at and handle so that you may be able to compare it with what you are looking at.

If we can help in any other way please ask, and good luck now you are out in the big wide world

Firstly thankyou for all your replies. Secondly, why on earth didnt I think of contacting you earlier JohnB :) , seeing as (not sure if you'd remember) but I did come to you for some help over a year ago to help me pass my forging exam. And mighten I add that you are why i am here now, not as a farrier but as a hopeful artistic blacksmith!! woo!
Something I did forget to add is that my forge is bottom blast, designed and built by an engineer friend with a few free pointers i recieved from Mr Simon Grant Jones. We were using North over coke or something like that at college but thought I should browse the market before hand. If I wasnt away in yorkshire indeed I would have come to the gathering. Hope to get the forges first light when I get bak and will be most likely poppin upto exeter for courses etc. Thanks again, anymor queries i'm sure I'l pop em on here.

A. Bithrey
aka Frisky Filly

Hi A, I did suspect it was you by your registration name, and I saw your winerack at the Royal Show, well done,

Glad I could be of some assistance previously, and you are still welcome to contact me again if you think I can help any, I unfortunately lost your email address, so wasn't able to tell you I had seen your final project.

See you some time in the future and good luck and best wishes with your new career

Thanks. its a shame it was never finished to how i wanted. but pleased it was taken to the show anyway.
I'd love to learn techniques to make diffrent sorts o leaves and flowers eventually, i dnt kno if u do courses like that at exeter or elsewher in the south.
its missib26@hotmail.co.uk if its easier to contact that way.
thankyou again. spk sn