I Forge Iron

High contrast Scrap alloys for pattern welding?

fireandhammer

I am interested at the moment, less with edge holding ability, and more with the visual beauty of contrasting alloys in a sculptural piece. Does anyone know of any scrap sources for alloys that will etch drastically different colors. Band saw blades, saw blades, etc... What will work for the nickel color....some stainless alloys? I don't mean to sound dumb. I am self taught as far as my blacksmithing, many nights online and in the shop. I have been a sculptor and fabricator for years. Thanks.

the main problem is differing alloying elements make the welding more tricky, chrome (as in stainless) especially so.

I get bi-metal bandsaw blades to weld up well, but many struggle with them. they do give great contrast though. Im afraid alot of it is trial and error.

fireandhammer - what I ment was to search the topic and see what others are useing for mat'ls - that way you can determine what "junkyard" steels to use that will be of similar content - like the hi and low carbons etc,etc. 1084 and 15N20 is what I've used (1084 to 1095 and 15N20 is a very commonly used mixture for contrast) but I bought new stock so I knew exactly what it was so there was no guessing and wasting of time. - JK

jeremy, one of the problems of just telling someone to do a search is it looks pretty rude, I know you might not have meant it that way.

Im pretty sure the manganese content of the steel affects the 'dark' side of the etch (ie the opposite to the nickel).

Another thing to ponder is the etch is usually better (sharper, better contrast) after heat treating a knife, which does not help you much with a sculpture!

Have a look at Ariel Salaverria Custom Knives - Stainless San Mai and Cable Damascus Custom Knives - Damascus and Mokume Pendants - Knifemaking Tutorials he gets some amazing contrast with his welding, and there are lots of tutorials etc on his site. Wether you can apply any of the info on there to junk steels is a different matter :D

I have never seen a brass inlay into a blade could you post a pic,,maybe someone can help then.

John I do the same thing at times..specifically when the question requires a really long answer and I know there is already a geat amount of information in the pages on here about the subject. There is too much info on here aboiut so many things that to pass it over for a few lines in this thread would not be a good thing.

I use wood cutting bandsaw blades and banding material. It gives good contrast. You will get some contrast with like materials but combining carbon steel with a high nickel steel is the best way. Bandsaw blades for wood tend to be nickel steel, I assume because it resists corrosion better than plane carbon steels. Banding material appears to be a high carbon steel. Carbon content for these is a matter of opinion. Some say .5 to .8 percent carbon. I think some are less but then when you make a knife of junkyard steel, you usualy don't intend it to be of the highest quality. Not saying the craftsmenship is not the highest quality but the steel quality would pretty much be unknown. Really doesn't matter if you just want to have fun. These steels still make a decent knife too. At least I havn't had any problems making them. Have fun.

Fred