I Forge Iron

jewelry finishs

billp

I have started playing around with making jewelry (bracelets) from steel and or other iron based metals and was wondering what advice anyone could give on a finish. I'm looking for something to help keep the shine or fresh look plus, help keep your arm or where ever it's worn from turning green when starting to sweat.

Also some time ago some told about a type of finish they use that was used in redoing the finish on cars and such. They used it on there metal work and from what I remember really raved on it. But of course now that I'm interested I can't find the post that told where to get this finish. If anyone knows of what I'm talking about please pass it on. As for the old traditional type finishes I'm still experimenting on them but still looking to see what some of you think might works best.

Thanks for your help
Bill P

Sorry, my bad about the steel and green.
I did one piece and started off with a wire brush on a grinder to semi polish the bracelet down then moved on to two different buffing wheels on another type of grinder. To finish off with a dremel tool brushing and polishing spots the big brush missed. I did try applying Gliders Paste a new to me product I got from a blacksmith supplier but either from the buffing compounds I used when on the buffing wheel or from just being to polished up the paste did not take and only rubbed off after drying, still playing around with that. May try applying at different stages of the polishing and buffing have to see where that goes.

I'll try what you suggested as I plan on trying to make several more pieces this weekend.
Thanks for your help.
BillP

Edited by billp

This is a topic that I am interested in. By biggest concern is using a finish that will not have any detrimental affects to the person wearing the jewelry since the jewelry comes in contact with the skin. For example anything that has a petroleum base, could that be a problem??

I was at a small craft fair in our little town a couple of weeks ago an there were some forged steel cuffs that were powder coated(clear), also stainless steel. I make copper bracelets for my wife and some of her friends and I don't polish them bright but leave a fire patina on them, that way no green wrists. I also make sterling silver bracelets and put a high polish on them with a motor mount muslin wheel.

D-ski, you gave me a thought in that I never considered the question you raise, but then if using a finish on eating utensils the same should work on bracelets? Unless being in constance contact with the skin makes a difference huuuu! it is something to consider.

Bentiron 1946, I did to my first bracket like you on the muslin wheel but did not think of the patina type of finish. I just wounder how long the shine will last on just polishing with the brush and muslin wheel. After all if, and it's a big if, I sell any of these I want them to last and look good for a long time, after all it's my name on it. As with everyone who makes things we all want a good rep on our work.

Thanks for you input guys it does give me something else to think on.
BillP

Plain, polished steel with no finish don't last for squat. It starts rusting pretty fast. Same for copper after it is polished if there is no protective barrier from oxygen it start to turn on you like a banana. There is a product called Renascence Wax that is used by jewelers and museum conservators to protect metal objects from oxidization. It is a microcrystalline wax, a petroleum product, that needs to be reapplied every once in awhile.
Renaissance Wax Polish | Jewelry Making Supplies - Polishing Compounds - Beading Supplies, Tools