I Forge Iron

hardy hole for home-made anvil

Hi all.

I'm not sure if this would work or not.

I have a home-made anvil (I-Beam with a chunk of forklift welded to the top as a face of sorts, and what passes as a horn welded to the front). It's pretty ugly, but it works for now, and since it was free (got it with my forge and some basic tools and tongs) it will work until I can afford an actual anvil.

An idea I've come up with, might be seen as an alternative to those without a hardy hole, but not really sure well it will work in practice.

wda-hardy-adapter.jpg

The drawing is just a quick sketch and is not even remotely to scale. Basically (and this is just because I have some of this stock on-hand) it's a piece of 3" x 1/4" x 8" hot rolled steel bent hot over the edges of the anvil. A 3/4" x 3/4" square is cut 1-1/2" up from the bottom edge for attachment of a chain intended to go around the bottom of a legged anvil stand, or in my case through the existing hole in the moddle of the I-Beam that my anvil is made of.

Below, I have a photo of my current anvil, with a rough drawing of how this would be implemented.

wda-hardyhole.jpg

I would love to hear opinions of those more experienced. I plan on going over to a friend's this week to do some welding (making my post-vise that day as well, so we'll be able to see how it looks at least.

Thanks for looking.

David