I Forge Iron

Wisconsin Little Giant

I have finally found a Little Giant. It is a 50lb Little Giant that was manufactured in Kaukauna, Wisconsin. The casting has no cracks and everything else is in fairly good order but I have heard they are a bit different to find parts for and this one may need a few now or in the future. Should i grab it or hold out? Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I agree Sid is the source for parts and info but if it is in good condition now and is 80 years old or so you should not wear it out too much more.
Keep it well oiled. If it needs new babbit you can pour that yourself. If pins are warn they need replaced with a size larger which requires drilling
Fred Craylor always suggested getting a new spring no matter what hammer you buy

Get it! If you have doubts on repair/rebuilding it then take the class in March from Sid. They completely rebuild a LG during the class and everybody participates, class is limited so every one can get to the hammer. I bought part for my 50#LG a few years back but want to take the class before I start putting it back together. Mine is a 1926 model.

If it was made in Wisconsin it may be quite a bit different from a Little Giant. I have two Kauana built hammers. They are great hammers but no LG parts interchange. New springs are available from Sid. Arms from a LG will work with some mods but must be changed in pairs. The top shaft uses press in bushing instead of poured babbit.The ram guide system is much different, it adjust with 2 through bolts. The pins in the ram are almost always worn out and were cast steel. You will need machinist skills to replace, but it is not bad to do. I think some things are better than LG's. If you need help I'll be glad to share what I know.
Phil