I Forge Iron

home built anvil

I made this anvil using heavy plate 2 1/2 inches thick. It measures 21 inches long and 10 1/2 inches tall. Brian and Ed Brazeal have been using this type of anvil for years and it works well. the cost is much less than most anvils you will find and the time you spend making it is much less than you will spend messing around with rail road track. anyone that needs an anvil to get started should consider this approach. also there is no bad ring to this thing just a nice thud when you strike. I will be happy to answer any questions all you need is a torch and a grinder to do this and its just mild steel you dont have to find something with high carbon. I have been having trouble uploading pictures lets see if this works

18272.attach

18273.attach

18274.attach

Beautiful job Clinton. I like it. How much do you pay for scrap in Salinas?

I think I can answer some of the questions. Round is more useful than flat, and the sloped section is a captive butcher tool. I could have used one of those last week.

unicorn- i just divided the area into equal sections and like evfreek said that is a butcher forging is just using dies your anvil is the bottom die and your hammer is the top with this set up you have a wide selection of bottom dies to chose from.
evfreek i go to gilroy for my scrap the place is called south bay metals i think they are getting around .40 cents a pound now. mark i think it was some surpluss military equipment that got scraped out only by the olive drab paint that was on it