I Forge Iron

how many of ya'll belong to A.PA(appalachian blacksmiths association)

Member and Current Vice-President, Ripley area. Oh yeah, it's ABA by the way...lol..easy mistake.

Some of the folks up in your neck of the woods are starting some monthly hammer-ins in the Arthurdale/Morgantown area. When they get going it should be in the newsletter.

Quite a few members in your area, if I recall correctly.

Edited by keykeeper

there are atleast 3 hammer-ins that i know ofround here.arthurdale , morgantown, and one in fairmont.what do you exactly do at them?where do you fellars get your steel from? i get mine from quality machine and tool in bridgeport. i would like to keep in touch with ya'll. can i have your guys e mail? just message it to me please.

Edited by irontwister
messed up.

What do we do at hammer-ins? Well, it varies. Some you attend will have a demo or two to watch, and then have a try yourself at making the selected demo item.

Some hammer-ins may be themed to making one certain type thing, with many forging areas set up.

Some hammer-ins may even be a free for all to make whatever you please.

Just really depends on the host. The Fairmont hammer-in is also the business meeting, followed by lunch and a few quick demos. The best reason to attend as many as possible is the amount of knowledge that gets passed around at them. Occasionally there is a hammer in at Parkersburg. I may try to host one on a Saturday at the shop down here sometime leading up to the Spring Conference, to try and do some more improvements/repairs at the shop.

If you were closer, I'd have you come on out to the Association shop for our monthly open shop. Always something fun going on at that one! We have eight forges, a little giant, an air hammer, treadle hammer, welder, etc. that can be used.

Come on down for the Spring Conference. Worth every minute you spend there, whether talking to the seasoned guys outside, or watching the demo inside.

I'll PM you my email and contact info.

-aaron