I Forge Iron

drilling files

sqeezplay

one of my freinds has been working on a file knife for a long time, it's very cool, so now we're down to putting in the rivets in the handle, the only problem is we can't seem to get through the file. so, what speed should i have my drill press on , and what kind of drill bit should i use?

thanks,

M
Andrew
D

God bless

As they probably don't have access to heat treating equipment they probably do not want to anneal the file!

I sure hope they drew the temper on it in their oven though---if not when they drop it it will probably break in several pieces.

Drilling hardened steel---if you must, use a solid carbide twist bit make a dam for coolent and use a *GOOD* steady drillpress, Drilling in a hand drill will probably break more expensive bits that you want to!

I'd suggest figuring a way to do the handle using epoxy to hold the tang, much more likely to get a good using knife that way

And be sure to find out how much they drew temper on the blade *FIRST*

Thomas

you can draw the temper on the handle portion of the file knife by either imersing the blade up to the handle in water or sticking the blade through a potato up to the handle and then heating the handle with a propane torch until it is dull red and then let it air cool then the handle should be soft enough to drill. Jigging putty will also work in this application.

Woody

• 4 weeks later...