I Forge Iron

Hunter WIP

John Martin

This knife is made from 15n20 and 1095 from knife and gun. It is a 23 layer twist billet. Knife length is currently 3.5" and handle is 4". Pictures aren't that great, but the final will be. The blade has not be ground yet, but I dipped it in vinegar just to see how the pattern is coming. The design of the blade might be a bit odd, but it is very comfortable and allows great control of it. Lemme know what you guys think, what you would do differently, etc... Every bit helps me with the current knife and future knives.

Thanks

CIMG1415.JPG
CIMG1420.JPG
CIMG1425.JPG

looks good! - nice welding.

I would radius that sharp looking corner a bit more. You have got a stress raiser there at the transistion between blade and ricasso.

The other think I would do (but its a personal thing, nothing wrong with how you have got it) is to alter the profile of the blade slightly.

I would drop the tip 1/3rd of the top of the blade by a couple off mm's towards the point. That way the blade will balance with the drop off at the end of the handle.

If you look at the knives made by the pro's 99% of the time the top of the blade and handle follow a smooth arc.

Hope this helps a bit! look forward to seeing it finished. good luck with the heat treat :D

Some updates.

Have profiled the first finger notch a bit more. Turned it into a drop point. Have also grinded the bevels in. Also, if you look in the photo close up, I have a tiny inclusion near the edge of the blade. I got lucky. It will grind out when I grind the secondary bevel in. Thanks guys!

CIMG1428.JPG
CIMG1430.JPG
CIMG1431.JPG