I Forge Iron

OCP Hofi Style?

I came across a Hofi style 800 gram hammer the other day at a local flea market. Paid $10 for it. The handle has been reized for a small hand and I will try to post a photo of it. It is marked OCP 800g. Question:from where did this hammer originate-I was thinking Off Center Products maybe?

• 2 weeks later...

O.K., I confess. Number of years ago I had such things made in China. They weren't bad, not great. Pretty good steel, spotty heat treat, poor job of putting in the handle. They are 1060 if you ever want to heat treat one. I still don't make any handled tools.

As I got older I started thinking I would import what I could and make what I had to. Decided later, for a multitude of reasons, that I would make what I could and import what I had to. BUY USA when you can! Or, given that we have folks from many countries here, BUY locally made, support your local economies!

I also try not to make things that someone else is doing well. These were a size no one else offered and there was a demand.

Edited by nakedanvil

I bought a pair of those hammer heads W/O handles while at Saltfork conference from a bucket in the tail gate area.
I reqround the pein of one and put in a maple handle.
So far I am very happy with how it is performing
I rarely use the pien just tilt the head to use that to draw.

Reidster,
They are available at Blacksmith Depot. Listed as a "Chech Hammer/Hofi Style" - 2 for $20.00 (no handle those are $3.00 each). Listed as not being truly square and the metal being just a bit soft ... a tool for beginners like me.
Tim

Personally, I humbly suggest purchasing a quality hammer whenever possible because a poorly shaped/made hammer can add to the difficulty of learning hammer control. Trying to learn good hammer control with a poorly made hammer is like trying to learn marksmanship with a rifle that has a badly shot out barrel. Just my opinion, for what little my opinion is worth:
- http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/f92/help-hofi-hammer-14462/#post133891

• 1 year later...

Recently bought one at a tailgate sale at Calfornia Blacksmith's Spring Conference for $5. Thought I'd try it since it was a little lighter than my other cross peins and my back is giving me problems. Just got Hofi's DVD so maybe between the two I can get a little more life out of my spine. If it helps I can look for a better version, but in the mean time the price was right.
Jim