I Forge Iron

10 lb anvil.

hey its me again with ( you guessed it another question) ok well a friend of mine gave me a really good looking 10 pound anvil he used it to make knives and some of his knives look really good. Well my wuestion is I know just cause its free don't always meen its great. So will a 10 lb anvil be good for me starting out again I'm making knives. Starting out using rail road spikes cause I have like 40 of them. Any input will be great. O and I'm using a 2 lb oilfield hammer with a good flat end he gave it to me told me it was like a 200 doller hammer and a 1.8 lb trupper a little bit rounded ends but not much. So with thouse hammers is the anvil still ok or will I break it faster than I can make lnifes.thanks again

A ten pound anvil sounds like a jewelers bench Anvil. Hopefully it is not a Harbor Freight (HF) Anvil Shaped Object (ASO). Drop a hammer on it and check for rebound cast iron does not have much rebound and is the mark of an ASO.