I Forge Iron

First post, first question

I've been hanging around here for a while, soaking up this vast amount of information and experience which I thank all of you for sharing. But now im at a sticking point in a project im doing for a history fair, of course it deals with the early history of knives, tools , iron and steel but by what i've learned, sommething called the Catalan Furnace was used to transform cast iron to wrought iron.problem is, I cant find a picture or diagram for my backboard. any sketches, drawings, or help at all would be greatly appreciated

thanks
kyle

Catalan Furnace predated the indirect process of making wrought iron from cast iron. It was a direct process smelter making wrought iron from ore. (The secondary process is over 1000 years "later" than the early direct process methods ..)

I've seen good line drawings of it in old ASM books on the history of metals and Colonial Williamsburg built one and had it written up in the magazine on trades with pictures.

You need to do more research! May I commend to your attention "The Metallography of Early Ferrous Edge Tools and Edged Weapons" Tylcote and Gilmour (a British Archeological Report) Hard to buy easy to ILL!

I'll try to dig up the cites on the works mentioned but it may be next week before I can post them as I have a trip to Mexico this Saturday.

Finally had time to dig in my library:

"The Story of Metals", John W. W. Sullivan, American Society for Metals; has a reprint of the Catalan Forge drawing from "Steel and Iron", W.H.Greenwood pub 1884

Colonial Williamsburg Historic Trades Annual, vol 1, "Reconstructing the American Bloomery Process", David Harvey