I Forge Iron

Help me install this hammer

Ok .... here is the hammer i recently bought have no ideea what tipe is it or how many Lb jus this pictures ....and the think is that i have 2 put it in my shop ...but it won't stay there for a long time just a few month so i don't whana make a concret basemant for it ...will it work to put it on rairoad wood ? how many do i need ?will it tear up my building ?U can see that the anvil ,hammer and engine are 3 separete parts ...here are the pictures...The last picture is the building where is going 2 sit in .... i broke down the door and some wals :) 2 fit it ...So plz help me and give me some hints about how i stick it to the floor :) 10x

536.attach

537.attach

538.attach

539.attach

540.attach

541.attach

542.attach

543.attach

i posted a picture of my base somewhere on here, I'll try and find it.

The hardest part for you to do will be getting the hammer over top of the anvil.

Edit: ok here you go
362d1153241794-bradley-300-hammer-powerh

The sand/gravel on the hammer is from my old shop were the base was buried.

Mines all bolted together with allthread the bottom being a solid row right across the hammer, this is what the anvil sits on with a pice of 1 1/2"-2" plate between the anvilbase and the wood to help distribut load and to lift the anvil base up for proper die clearances. (theres stop line on the hammer TUP that you must get in the right spot, to low you'll destroy the hammer). The upper row under the hammer is more spread out and bolted down through the bottom row of wood and has a lenght of 1"plat 8" wide running the lenght of the hammer. Becuase of the bolts going down and though I needed to space it with the 2x10's to keep the bolt heads off the floor.

This base is 40-50 years old and was ran on an old concrete floor with no signs of cracking in my old shop.

577.attach

whilst you are thinking the foundation out ,make a set of motor mounting brackets to mount the motor on the hammer ,use the pump cyl head bolts to hold them in place to mount the motor at the back of the hammer, and use some crank case cover bolts to hold the lower end of the brackets, we have put the motor direct on to all the small hammers we have had it saves a lot of room and the the hammer is easier to install also it is easier to work around it and dosnt gather clutter

10x for the advice :) I will probably start building the pad tomorow

I have one more question
Chris Pook wrote...

to lift the anvil base up for proper die clearances. (theres stop line on the hammer TUP that you must get in the right spot, to low you'll destroy the hammer).

How do i know if the anvil sits 2 low or to high(how much clearence is alowed betwen the hammer base and the anvil block that sits under the hammer base)

On the Nazel hammers like mine they had a reference line scribed around the TUP at 1" before bottoming out this should be just barely visible coming down out of the guides. This is were their instruction book said to set the hammer. the 1" left inside is a saftey factor. You also need to keep this in mind when redressing dies or changing them. When I rebuilt mine and remachined the dies I set mine at the line then lifted it up a 1/4-1/2" back into the hammer to allow for die dressing over the years.

Your hammer may be a bit different but for saftey of the hammer I'd check it out.

it won't be permanent cause next year in 2007, Romania will join Europe ...UE... and then i won't be alowed 2 have my shop in the town no more and i have to move soon :(

I was looking for marks ... :( found none but i will set the anvil as high as i can. It's good to know that this counts

I was really bussy this week fixing the 20T press had to change the O-Rings and was a pain in the neck so i was not able to make the wood pad for the hammer but next week for sure ... time flys bye

How much does the hammer worth? I payed for it 1000 USD Good/ Bad ????

Not sure about Europe or other parts of the US for that matter, but here in Omaha, Ne 3 phase is rather a pain to get access to unless you are in an industrial or comercial area. Even then it can be a chore I've heard. There are phase coverters available or can be built but not sure of their efficency($$??). Anyway, good luck on the install. Looks like it will be a fun tool to have:)

Scott

that'd be a 15hp motor. If you can't get 3 phase power, a 15hp phase converter isn't to big of a deal as long as your shop has enough amperage to power it.

what voltage is the motor? is your shop the same?

In theory you could possibly put 2 single phase 10hp motor on it, (7.5kw) the extra 5 hp would hopefully make up for any power lost. Depending on if you can get 2 cheap enough it'd could be an option try.