I Forge Iron

new guy

hell my name is dustin, i live in north east Tx. i am pretty much a beginner at smithing, i have made about 10 knives and thats about it. i am trying to find some smiths in my area willing to share a bit of knowledge for me to learn from. thanks all

That is exciting. In that case we also want pictures of your family's shop. :D

Don't expect us to be reasonable on this forum, because blacksmithing is our passion.

Here are some blacksmith groups in Texas:

HOUSTON AREA BLACKSMITH ASSOC. (independant) TX HABA Houston Area Blacksmith's Association
NORTH TEXAS BLACKSMITHS ASSOC TX North Texas Blacksmiths Association
BALCONES FORGE (Central Texas) TX balconesforge.org
TEXAS ARTIST BLACKSMITHS ASSOC TX taba.abana-chapter.com

East Texas Blacksmith Alliance
John Soares, President
P.O. Box 807
Woodville TX 75979
Phone: 409/982-1500
E-mail: tel@livingston.net

Four States Iron Munchers Association
Jerome LeGrand, President
612 S. Lelia
Texarkana TX 75501 6936
Phone: 903/832-6737
E-mail: jlegs@gte.net

Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI!! I'm just east of Longview, where are you. You can send that info via a PM if you like. Also if you are not doing anything on the 17th & 18th of this month I invite you to join us up in Perry, OK for the Saltfork Craftsmen ABA conference....nothing but blacksmithing! :) Hurry and figure the photo thing...we want to see pictures. Once again, welcome.

Check out this site for more info on the conference or you can PM me about that too. www.saltforkcraftsmen.org 3 of the best smiths will be these, Robb Gunter and his 2 sons, Chad and Brad. Top of the line guys.

Edited by Thomas Dean

im from pittsburg.(about an hour from you) i think we might have met on here before. thanks for the invite but i will be at a bladesmithing hammer-in at old washington. i am trying to get some info from 4-sima so i can think about joining that.

im from pittsburg.(about an hour from you) i think we might have met on here before. thanks for the invite but i will be at a bladesmithing hammer-in at old washington. i am trying to get some info from 4-sima so i can think about joining that.

Four states is a great bunch. My only problem is they only meet for about 2 hrs on the 3rd Sat of each month and it's a 1:45 drive for me. I'm a member, just not real active because of that. The NTBA group meets in the Dallas area on the 2nd of each month and they have some good meetings. Then the Saltford group in OK has a group that meets in the Paris area on the 1st Sat of the month. Shoot, you can drive north, south, east, or west on any Sat of the month and make meeting. 4-sima, Balcones Forge, HABA, NTBA in TEXAS or Saltfork in OK.
Hope you enjoy the hammer-in up in Old Washington. Tell the LeGrands and the rest of the bunch I said HOWDY!
My invite still stands if you want to visit my place.