I Forge Iron

General Safety ( Frostys accident)

Ten Hammers

Howdy. I'm Steve O'Grady. Many call me Ten Hammers. In view of Jerry Frosts accident, I might type a few comments. These are just some thoughts (some about life in general, some about situations specific and some just thoughts). Not picking on anyone in general (be that age, gender or skill level).

We as a worldwide community are a very fortunate lot to live in the times we live. Frosty and his wife Deb are very fortunate. Not only is there a top notch modern health care facility to care for Frosty (and help Deb cope), there were modern health care professionals called to the scene of the accident (will comment on that word later) and the on scene help called for Air Ambulance to scene( if I understand it correctly). Even 10 years ago there were areas in the USA that would have had local protocols (health care) that would have required the patient to be taken to the nearest care facility first, evaluated and shipped on if necessary. We have what is called the "golden hour" that starts when the injury happens. The thing is, speed and quality of care matter.

Consider one to two hundred years or more ago (the place some of us try to replicate when we demo or attend events). This timeline is a broad statement. The smith pulled teeth in many instances. Amputations were common. Infection was then (as now ) a serious problem. A mouse got trapped and was disposed of (unless you had cats or terriers). There were no telephones. There are areas in the world today that are not far from this description right now.

My point is this. ACCIDENTS wait. For EVERYONE. ACCIDENTS waited in primitive times and they wait today. Many times we are able to dodge accidents. Sometimes not. I am extremely happy that Frosty had the health care initially and has it currently to deal with his injuries. This is not about woulda shoulda coulda. It is about the fact that we are all open to accidents happening. I am greatful for the communication technology available today. Yes, I like boiled coffee on a charcoal fire in a forge and I like sleepin in a tent with a woodstove when the weather is cold. I also like the electric lights, flying machines, antibiotics and tailormade overalls. I hope for a steady progressive healing of Frosty but I also know that these things take not only time but patience.

Edited by mod07
correct a statement, the Golden hour is the first hour after injury

I agree with both of you, a discussion of safety and accidents, not just in the shop probably should occur. We are a hands-on community, and perform tasks that are arguably more dangerous than taking a hammer to hot steel. There is a great deal of safety in smithing due to our workspace, and best practices that we have been taught to observe around all tools.

If we are starting this discussion because of Frosty, then it might be better to wait.

Phil

Hi, all. I'm a newbie as a smith and as a member of your great forum. It's hard for me to know where to begin this post, and I don't want to step on any toes. If anyone thinks I am out of line, please let me know, and I apologize in advance. When we hear of injuries to friends and loved ones we should, of course, do anything we can to support them and their families. My prayers go out to Frosty and his wife. However, for the sake of all the metal workers that might read this forum it's really important that we don't put off any discussion of safety. I don't think that we would be insensitive to open a discussion about safety at this point. I believe that it is really our duty to address it now, especially because a dear member of our community has been injured. Frosty will hopefully weigh in on the discussion soon, but since we have over 10,000 members, I think it should be a point to call our attention to safety, for newbs and experienced smiths, too. As Ten Hammers said, accidents wait for us, but each danger that we're aware of allows us to reduce the risk. So, I urge you to consider opening the discussion now, because of Frosty. Again, I appreciate your sensitivity toward Frosty and his family, and I admire the support that this community puts out to them, but I believe that we're actually doing a disservice to them, as well as the rest of the I Forge community, if we hold off on conversations about safety. They need to be open and frequent. I apologize if my thoughts offend anyone. Thanks for listening and thanks for being a great community. Respectfully~Eric

i believe there should always be safety discussed. Frostys accident had nothing to do with smithing. I would think the family would appreciate the fact Frostys situation is the inputus to the beginning of safety awarness for a group he belongs to. I believe we should always discuss some of the inherant dangers we face in our trade. We should always.... think 2x- bang once, if you will. There is a post right now with a guy doing something with a grinding wheel that should not have been done. Most of us are alone in the shop with enuff stuff to level a nieghborhood. I wish Frosty and his wife the best and fast healing but safety in the shop should be a daily affair