I Forge Iron

Silversmithing Stakes-Help Me Out

Bentiron1946

Here's the deal, I have an acquaintance in Maryland that needs some small silversmithing stakes for making small bowls and other hollow ware, the small kind. The problem is no money or at least not much to buy the store bought kind, no forge to make them nor the skill to forge them and heat treat. I think you may be seeing the problem here. So If there are any smiths in the Maryland area that would like to take on a project to make and/or teach this person the skill of making stakes send me a PM with your contact information and I will forward it to her. Now I don't want any lecherous old fools(or young) only nice folk understand. She seems to be a very nice, talented, young lady (heck even rocks are younger than me)that needs some help and I'm a bit far away and to decrepit to be of much help.:cool:

Thomas, No she doesn't want to work steel for hollow forming she wants to make stakes for hollow forming small silver and copper hollow forming. She knows hollow forming what she does not know is blacksmithing and I'm not sure she has enough upper body strength to do it. She needs a blacksmith to make her some small forming stakes so that she can make deeper bodied hollow forms. She is not going to make armour or any thing like that just pots made out of copper or silver and she needs stakes that are not going to cost her a hundred dollars a piece and they need to be small. Not like the big'uns that you buy from the big supply houses but small ones like a smith would make.

I was referring to silversmithing stakes. Nowhere did I mention working steel on them. I was making a suggestion on how to find cheap alloys that work well for such stakes and that for silversmithing you don't need to do complex hardening simple normalization will work.

Where did your reply come from!

Hey, you are both great guys. Remember we are all family here. Simple misunderstandings are real easy to happen to all of us, especially on the InfernalNet. It happens to me. Sometimes I am as slow as mud flowing uphill on a snowy day. :D

She will contact me, and I will figure it out. Sounds like an easy project, especially if she only needs two or three small stakes out of plain old mild steel.

Don't worry, be happy. :D