I Forge Iron

Just starting out

You could not have found a better place. There are quite a few folks that visit here from the UK They may post about eqipment locations. There is a place on here I believe called getting started, May link from the home page. that may put you in the right direction. Go through all of the blueprints as you can and have the time for. See which ones of them are simple and informative and print them out for a shop book. As you gather equipment you can start with those. As long as this site has been going it has a vast amount of information about almost any question you may come up with. The search button will let you look for those answers and if you cannot find wot you want post another question here and you will get someone to help. Maybe alot of someones and you can choose which answers you think will work for you. Tuesday eves there aree live blueprints not sure how the time of day will work for you but see if you have the time to drop in. They show some drawings and text to describe how to do somthing crafty. Worth while. WElcome

Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI! First read all that is in the archives here on IFI...should take you several days.;) Then I would recommend going to the "Book Review" section and check out the different books that have been suggested by other smiths. Some are good and others are excellent. There are a large bunch of folks from your side of the pond that are memebers here on IFI and I'm sure some of them may extend an invitation to come visit for a little "hands on" at the forge. Also, I highly recommend checking into the "BABA"--British Artist Blacksmith Association. They will know of smiths in your area. Good luck on your venture and enjoy your stay here! Ask questions if you need to, we're glad to help.

Welcome to IFI Anthony. If you go to the front page of the site on the right there is a link to Metalworking Lessons then click on the link Lessons In Blacksmithing. A good place to start BUT before you go trawling through this site make sure you have a good supply of munchies, some of your favourite brew and a comfy seat, you will be here a looooong time.

See ya

Hi Anthony, welcome to the site.
I would suggest taking a basic course so you can decide what tools to look for that you NEED as opposed to finding useful. It will also help you in many other ways, thare are plenty offering courses some better than others, but all should be of some use.

Our Guild has courses and open days as well as attending various shows where the public can come along and have a go. Details are at Blacksmiths Guild Home

Good luck in your new venture

there are a lot of free books on line one site is METAL WEB NEWS under blacksmithing there are lots of video's on you tube as well. Pieh tools is a great resorce for books and tools. As the other's have said check out your group in your area. some have libaries and a good sorce to meet blacksmiths tools sales and knowledge.