I Forge Iron

Anyang on eBay

Okay so here is my luck. I asked the seller for some more pictures. He went out to take them. He turned on the hammer and puttered around the shop. he heard a loud bang and smelled smoke from the belts. He hadn't checked the oiler and it had clogged up from sitting so long unused. Bent rod.. So he is now asking how I want my money refunded....

So close

Brian, I sent you an email but thought that I should post some thoughts for others. If you have a hammer like this sitting for a long time, it is best to take the oiler apart and clean it out, and blow out all of the oil lines to make sure oil is flowing. I would also take the cylinder heads off (two of them, one for the compressor side and one on the ram side) and put some oil in the cylinders, then turn the hammer over by hand to make sure there is plenty of oil before you start the hammer. On the 33 lb, there are two grease zerks that I would grease before I would start up the hammer. These hammers are extremely reliable and last a long time, but they do need oil and grease. For this hammer, it is hard to tell how extensive the damage was until you do a tear down. Take the piston out and check out the piston, rod, rings, cylinder wall, etc. I have all of the normal wear parts but a failure like this is extremely rare (this is the first time I have heard of a failure like this... but it's possible, like running a car out of oil). I can get any of the other parts (I can get them faster right now because I have a large hammer order getting ready to ship)... but need to know what parts are needed.
Brian, It sounded like a good deal at the time, but I'd sure need to know a lot more before I would try to guess what the cost would be to get it going again.

tough luck. Ive never heard of one letting go like that before. Seems a bit of an extreme fail for a lack of oil.

If the bore has not scored up it might be a cheap repair, take the piston out, buff the bore, (straighten the rod, prob a new small end bronze bearing / roller bearing for the big end and your away). These small hammers are built like mini versions of the industrial stuff so are repairable.

I view all machines with the 'wisdom' of cars / bikes etc. If they are not in regular use for a while it is still worth running them for 20 mins once a month just to keep everything smooth and drive any moisture out.

Im sure James can point you in the right direction if he sees some pics.

EDIT,

Brian, its GOOD luck that it happened at his shop, not yours, and great that he has offered you the money back. Think positive! :)

Edited by John N

James and John,

First thank you for the advice. I agree that I am lucky to have had it happen before I took possession of it. I am sorry if the post made it sound like Anyang was any thing but a fine hammer. The pictures off of Ebay showed the hammer had not seen the best of care. The gentleman had been striping the paint loose and removing rust from the hammer. My feeling was that he hadn't been running the hammer at all for some time. When James first sent me email on Sunday, he offered some great advice on how to treat the hammer before operating the first time. I believe if the owner had checked out the hammer before turning it on or if he had run the hammer for even a short time regularly, as John suggested, he would not have a heavy paperweight right now.

If I lived closer than 12 hours from the gentleman, I would have offered to buy it for less and try to rebuild it. I have learned a huge lesson here and am sorry it is at someone's else expense. I am positive about this. James, you will have me as a customer probably next year. I have a smithy to build between now and then. I will focus on that first, instead of hijacking my old roommate's garage for the hammer.

Thanks again all,

Brian