I Forge Iron

brake drum forge

Sweany

Deleted link ckick here ---> portable forge

$40 is not found materials, that is money spent out of pocket.

I have a concern that the forge would be unstable and top heavy as there is little base for support with the legs so close together.

The sand used to line the forge is unnecessary and will melt forming clinker. It takes up space needed for fire depth and raises the fire defeating the purpose of using the drum as a fire pot.

The clean out is (in my opinion) a good idea but the pipe plug in the end of the T does not allow for any ash to accumulate and would have to be cleaned out early and often. This could be cured with a dowm pipe and a pipe cap.

The 5 gallon bucket chimney is a good idea but limits the forge to small projects. Remove the bucket and the forge should be able to handle a variety of sizes and shapes of stock and projects. The lathe turnings (or whatever) in the top of the bucket should act as a spark arrested, but will quickly either burn out or fall into the fire. This could be fixed by putting a piece of stove pipe (or two) on the bucket to act as a chimney.

The amount of fire coming from the forge opening in the bucket is disturbing. To me this would indicate that the chimney is too small or not working, or that way too much air is being forced into the forge.