I Forge Iron

vertical up

help, i am trying to do vertical up weld, on 2 half inch plates. my problem is i either get a good penetration with lots of globular piles or i get poor penetration with a good looking weld, using 6010 electrode at 95 amps.

2nd problem, doing cover pass with 6013 just cant seem to get it right, even using side to side with a 1 second pause on each side.

What is your power source? AC, or DC or both? Why are you capping 6010 with 6013? I like to weld uphill with 7018 on DC, electrode positive. There is a little technique to learn, but once you master it it is easy. 6010 is a DC only rod, if you have AC, use 6011 instead. 95 amps without knowing the rod diameter is not enough info. I asume it is 1/8" though. I personaly have no use for 6013.

I agree that 6013 is not the ideal electrode for your cap, try using 7018, it is common to buy, cheap and easy to use. As for your root... what kind of joint are you welding? Are you butting the plates together? If so did you prepare a v groove onto each plate? If its possible to lap the plates together consider doing that for greater ease in welding. Regardless of your joint setup, 6010 (and 6011) requires a bit of a technique to successfully weld vertically up. The best way I can describe it would be to 'whip' it up and down cycling between a long arc (up and away) on the up stroke to a short arc (depositing weld just slightly above your previous weld) while keeping a consistant inclination on your electrode. I find if I keep a 60 deg inclination pointing up I get good penetration and deposition rate. By up and away im talking millimeters here, when you whip it up and away from your work, move your electrode up about 1/8 of an inch and move it away from your work half that much. When I say down and deposit literally place the electrode into the puddle just enough to see the puddle grow but not too much that the arc stops.
For your cap, if you insist on using 6013 you can try the whip action there as well in conjunction with your side to side movement. Instead of depositing for a full second from left to right, try whiping up and away, down and deposit on one end then move to the other end, whip up and away, down and deposit then back again.

Hopefully that helps!!

Hello night_wish2
I reckon you are using 1/8 rod too, is that right? I don't know if i'd be using that size on 1/2" plate for vertical up. How long is the weld? If you weld the hole rod, by the time you get half way through the rod, the plate and weld may get to hot and become difficult to control the weld, as you said "lots of globular piles"

I have no problems about the rod type, just it,s the size, application and your amps are to high.
Your pause is to long. The way you,re set up, you will need to move much quicker.

So, to big a rod + to high amps + weld to slow = poor weld and problerly undercut.
I would try 6013 2.4mm rod I use them on any polarity , do some test runs first, I would try the amps at 75 to start with.
Where are the pic,s?

Cheers

I don't have a problem with 6013 either, I just don't have any use for it. In the shop, I use MIG for what I would otherwise use 6013 for, and in the feild, I use 6011, 7018 or TIG.

Seperate issue, I like 6011 better than 6010. It seems to freeze faster. I am not a professional pipe welder.

I agree with the above posters 100%. All good advise. One thing that works till you get the hang of vertical up, is to tack the plate back away from you at a slight angle instead of a full 90 degrees up. Then as you get the hang of it tilt it back toward you as you practice on different welds.

Hope this helps
LarryM