I Forge Iron

Rebuilding a part of history

J W Bennett

Today I had a wonderful oppurtunity that doesn't come to a person often. I had the chance to be a part of history. On April 28th 2005 a arsonist burnt down the covered bridge in Bridgeton Indiana. It was built in 1865 and has been a part of my life since I was a kid. This spring the rebuilding of the bridge began. With a mixture of fundings private, goverment and charity fund raisers the bridge is being rebuilt.
Last week the bride an I rode over to see how it was going and a man there said they needed volunteer help. Today I was there at 7 am to see if I could help. I spent the day working side by side with other volunteers and the contract help building the bridge. I have to say it was remarkable. There where no attitudes and no Phony stuff. Everyone there was there for one reason ... To rebuild the bridge. I will go back tomorrow and any day I have free. There is a noon meal furnished by the Mill across the creek. Everybody does whatever they can too the best of thier abilities. The bridge is being rebuilt to original specifications. It is a fantastic learning adventure.
I don't know if any of you are near Indiana, But if you have a free day or two this is a rewarding experience.
Here is a link to a web site that will tell you more about it.
Parke County - Covered Bridge Capital of the World
Didn't mean to ramble on but it was a great experience,

JWB

Can't find my atlas right now, so I'll have to ask - Parke County - Is that in the area of Turkey Run and Shades State Parks? Seems like I remember a Covered Bridge Festival from my childhood when we spent a fair amount of time at those parks?

SteveA,
Yes that is the Parke County you remember. I was born and raised here and came back once I finished my hitch in the Marines.

Jr,
The beams were all cut on site from native poplar donated from private individuals through out the state. Then the beams were hauled to Zionsville Indiana and a company specializing in post and beam construction did all the mortise and tenons and intricate cuts. The beams were then shipped back and assembly began.
Most of the high work is being done by the contractor and the timber framers from Zionsville.
I did make a wrench for them today to tighten all the bolt work with. Nothing fancy just a 1 inch x 4 foot piece of schedule 40 black pipe with a 1 5/16 open end wrench welded in one end and a 1 9/16 box end welded in the other end. It has enough leverage to pull the timbers together but still light enough to handle easily. The two diffrent sizes are due too the use of square head nuts.
The big push for volunteers will be in about 2 weeks when the sides,floor and roof get started.

JWB

Here are a few pictures showing the progress and some of the joinery. In the post and joint photos you can see the wooden pegs used to hold everything together.
In the bolted joint and bjdetail photos you can see the stairstep cuts and the key to keep the sections from seperating. It is interesting to see it come together.
The arch photo is a section of one the lamonated archs. These were cut on site.
The close up of the floor shows the crossbraces and the rods that hold the lower end together.
JWB

497.attach

498.attach

499.attach

500.attach

501.attach

502.attach

503.attach

504.attach

is this project still going on? and are they in need of help? i live in eastern indiana, and my dad worked for a lumber mill, and has a custom cabinet shop, and i have a small blacksmithing shop in a barn. so if there is anything that you need, keep us in mind! sounds like a terrific project.

Squeezplay,
E-mail coming at you.

Strine,
Back in days of covered bridges the most economical material for a bridge was wood. To increase the lifespan and therefore get the most out of the county budget a roof and siding would be included in the design to protect the structual members from the elements. It was quite effective as many are over 100 years old and several are still used every day.
The roof and sides also provided shelter for travelers during sudden storms in the days before cars and climate control.

JWB

This sounds like a great project, I wish I was nearer. There was a covered bridge behind my grandmothers home, it was the oldest in MA. It was burned by arsonists. Many people will say that the bridges were covered to keep out the snow, not so, they had to shovel snow into the bridges for the sleighs to get through. There was less concern for the bridge decking, it could be replaced easily.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I would take a moment and update everyone on the progress of the bridge. The two sections were set on the foundations Aug 28. The last oak flooring was laid today. The south section is ready for the roof and walls. The burr arches are still being installed on the north section. Once they are complete then the rafters ang side girts will be nailed in place. If the weather holds the bridge should be complete by the Bridge festival mid October.
I have included some pictures I took yesterday.

JWB

715.attach

716.attach

717.attach

718.attach

719.attach

720.attach

721.attach

• 4 weeks later...

It is too bad one sorry individual took it upon himself to take so much away from so many but in his profound ignorance he could not possibly have known the reverse would prove true as all involved have shown. DMS is right about snow being hauled into these bridges. The roof not only protected the bridge, it preserved the snow base from the sun for sled runners. Floorboards were simply roughcut lumber put down green and replaced as needed. You just can't keep a good town down. Semper Fi and keep on hammerin'

The bridge is finished. The ribbon cutting was October first. I have more pictures coming including some pictures of the eye bolts I had the priviledge of forging to fasten the tie rods to the abutments. Forged from 2" round stock salvaged from the original tie rods. Those picture were shoot on film so I will have to get them developed. Here are some of the last digital pictures I took.
It was a great experience volunteering to work on the bridge. The fact that I had the chance to do some smithing for it was an added bonus I had not counted on.

JWB

950.attach

951.attach

952.attach

953.attach

954.attach

955.attach

• 1 month later...

I posted the pictures of the eye bolts in the blacksmithing section today in a thread titled forged eyebolts.Sorry it took so long but it's been a pretty hectic summer/fall.

The Bridge was completed on October 1st, 2 weeks prior to the Covered Bridge festival. Now I need to post some pictures of the finished bridge.

JWB