I Forge Iron

putting out the flame

tatertatum

I was wondering how thoses of you who use corn or coal put out your fire at the end of the day? I've been using corn only in my new forge and its nice once it starts going. still working on fire control and proper air flow for a good welding temp but that will come with time. I am wondering about putting it out at the end of the day though. Dont want to hurt my cast forge.:D

I was wondering how thoses of you who use corn or coal put out your fire at the end of the day? .... Dont want to hurt my cast forge.:D

My answer is that it depends how the forge is constructed.

Most of the forges that I have used have had a cast iron firepot and either a sheet-metal or masonry table surrounding the firepot. When the table of the forge surrounding the firepot is not cast-iron then I rake the coals away from the firepot and put water on them, while being careful not to get any water on the firepot. If the whole forge is cast iron, then I humbly suggest using a shovel to transfer the coal/corn/charcoal into a bucket of water.

I do what spike does. I just forgo the water. After the forging is over and before the cleanup begins. I take the coke off the top of the fire and pour green coal on top with the fan on. I break it up every few minutes till I am done putting things away. Then I turn the air off, shovel the coke out, and break it up so I will have plenty to work with. I try to do this 3 times a day so I will have at least a day's supply of coke at all times.