I Forge Iron

It's good to be a blacksmith...

I have had a bad month with our automobiles. The truck broke a mounting bolt for the brake caliper. I was able to drill and tap it out! However, the threads in the spindle were buggered up. I soon discovered that the threads had an odd pitch and there was no thread repair on the market.

So I bought new bolts and put one in the fire and then hardened the threads. It fixed the old ones as pretty as you please. I plan on using this method again and again when ever I can!

Thanks for sharing your experience. I cant tell you how many times I have used my blacksmithing skills in my everyday work as a auto mechanic. All the other guys in the shop come to me when they cant get a part and I usually can repair or make what they cant find, As long as it is out of steel HEE HEE.
Gaylan

awesome, nice to hear success.:)
i agree , even if you only did the mod and repair of brackets, it makes a forge an almost essential tool. apart from 5 or 8mm steel (using an ally back plate, fill weld redrill and tap or similar with a rivet and forge weld to fill), ive only ever done the deep chaser thread thing with ally, and only once, didnt want to test it just left it and sneak away.....lol.
did try the ally fill thing to fix up a thread gone wrong, i was trying to repair my imatience...re drilled, patiently cleaned and drilled the little holes so the new slug would bite and hold, poured, redrilled, tapped, then it let go..:mad:

• 2 weeks later...
I have had a bad month with our automobiles. The truck broke a mounting bolt for the brake caliper. I was able to drill and tap it out! However, the threads in the spindle were buggered up. I soon discovered that the threads had an odd pitch and there was no thread repair on the market.

So I bought new bolts and put one in the fire and then hardened the threads. It fixed the old ones as pretty as you please. I plan on using this method again and again when ever I can!

Well done, sir! Now, perhaps you'll give Kipling his due and provide a byline... ;)