I Forge Iron

I Need to Know How To Make A Brake Drum Forge

Crky1992

There are several starter forges that are easy to build.

Break drum forges require several parts to gather and assemble. There is little room in the fire pot for anything other than fire. When you put metal into the fire to get it hot, some of the coal (and fire) will spill out onto the ground below. In the above drawing, the break drum will reduce the diameter of the fire pot by 60% or to the edge of the red coals.

IForgeIron.com > blueprints > BP0133 55 Forge is one of the easiest to build, and has room for extra coal next to the fire. This space is important so you can add green (fresh) coal into the fire as the fire burns and the coal needs replaces to keep the fire going. The forge in the photo is a modified 55 Forge with the supercharger added, but you can see the amount of room available. You can see some of the coals and fire going beyond the edge of the fire pot.

The side blast 55 Forge is the same as above but even easier to build. Just cut a notch in the side, lay a piece of pipe in the notch, make the end of the pipe about 3 inches off the bottom of the drum and blow air through the pipe. You can see the extra room for additional coal to the outside of the fire in this photo.

You can use a car tire rim, domed end of a hot water tank, or many other things to hold the fire, including a hole in the ground. There is no RIGHT way, just YOUR way, using what pieces or parts you have available to you in your location.

These are forges I have built AND USED. Some work better than others because of the style of the forge and the shape heat they produce, but they ALL WORK, and get the metal hot.

Build your first forge and play in the fire while you build (or buy) your second forge. The experience you gain from playing in the fire will be both rewarding and educational. Different style forges heat differently. Find a forge you like for the type work you do, and do not be afraid to change things.

I made a brake drum forge about a year ago and it works just fine.

I welded a triangle out of angle iron for the brake drum to sit in and welded three legs and some braces on it .

you WILL want to make it in the tripod style, trust me from experience.they are a whole lot stabler than four legged ones.

I'll try and get some pictures for ya but it may take awhile (picky computer ;))

Glenn is right though, you will want to upgrade when you can, 'cause brake drums are VERY limiting.
I'm buying a forge from my friend as soon as he gets another one from his friend out of state,but till then it'll work.

Good luck one your school project, too