I Forge Iron

taters new forge

tatertatum

well I spent the money and bought a forge instead of making one(so far):rolleyes:
I'm a little confused on the clinker breaker does it need the little plate that goes over the air feed hole and if so how then does the clinker breaker do any good?
If not then will i lose a lot of coal or corn down that hole when i clean out clinker.
Got this one for 350 and good deal or not I'm happy with it.:D

17269.attach

17270.attach

Edited by tatertatum

Clinker is the junk left over after everything burns, slag, dirt, rocks, etc. The clinker breaker does just that, breaks up the clinker (if needed) so it can be removed and give unrestricted air flow again to the fire.

Many times you just need to let the fire idle without air to let the clinker cool a bit and solidify (a minute or so). Move the fire to the side to access the clinker. Then remove the clinker with a hook, shovel, or other tool, in one or more large pieces. If the clinker has formed in the twyere, rotate the clinker breaker, crushing or breaking the clinker so it falls into the air tube or ash dump.

I'm a little confused on the clinker breaker does it need the little plate that goes over the air feed hole

Definitely not. The forge and clinker breaker are designed to be used as shown in your photograph. Absolutely do not add a little plate over the air opening.

If not then will i lose a lot of coal or corn down that hole when i clean out clinker.

No you will not use a lot of coal. You may loose a little, the amount depends on the size of your coal pieces. Personally, I don't pull apart the fire to break up the clinker, for most forging I just turn the clinker-breaker to break up the clinker within and around the opening and continue forging. Otherwise you are taking up valuable time adding to the cost of your product.

Got this one for 350 and good deal or not I'm happy with it.:D

The forge looks like it is in very good condition, and I feel that you got a good deal for your money. :D