I Forge Iron

new knife

tantrum86

hey everyone its been a while since ive posted last but i figured i would share this little finished peice since its gonna be a while before i get any more done as i am moving from california to wyoming in a few weeks.So this knife is made from 1085 hex stock with a mild steel guard and mineral oil finished dark wallnut the sheath is hand stiched and double welt with oil and beezwax finish. Tell me what ya think

17155.attach

17156.attach

17157.attach

17158.attach

I want to hear more about this oil and beeswax finish on the sheath. I'm looking to improve my leather work and am always interested to see how others do it.
That walnut certainly makes a beautiful handle! Good looking knife. I hope you get set up again soon and can show us some more work.

I make piece pipes out of soapstone. I also make wooden handles for the pipes. I coat both with beeswax for a natural protective finish. Anyway .... what I'm getting at is that I have to heat the stone and/or wood in the oven on the lowest setting (I think it's 125) then leave it in there for 20 minutes or so. Anyway, once I pull it out, I just rub the bees wax along the surface and it just runs into all the nooks and crannies. It's very easy to apply ..... just need to warm the surface to make it flow and stick. You can get bees wax in a huge chunk at any Micheals craft supply store.

Mutt

mutt pretty much sumed it up i use vegatable oil to work the leather to a darker color and softer texture and when its all done i set in the oven for a few minutes and rub the bees wax into it to seal it and protect it.Mcraigl i will moving to carbon county in either elk mountain laramie hanna or cenntenial i used to live in that area when i was younger and have finally positioned my self in my company to take over a wind turbine site out there.