I Forge Iron

Oxy/Propane welding?....

I currently have an oxy/propane setup that I use for cutting, but was thinking of getting a welding tip for the victor. Not sure if the propane is hot enough for the welding or if maybe it'd oxidize a bit too much for this purpose. I have a larger bottle of propane left and would like to finish it up, but I think if I can't use the propane for anything other than cutting, I'm going with oxy/acet. I miss the added heat bonus of oxy/acet.
Just checking on here first so I might not waste the funds on buying a welding tip for propane. Anyone try propane for welding?

You should not expect to do welding with propane as a fuel gas. Even the "hot" fuel gases other than propane do not weld satisfactorly in anything other than level, flat, forehand. Gas welding is pretty much restricted to acetylene. The "welding" tips for propane are used for hard silver (brazing) solder and copper alloy brazing. The main good propane tips is that you can far exceed the btu production of acetylene because of the limited withdrawl rate of acetylene cylinders. Acetylene is always limited by the withdrawl rate. It is hotter but in pound of carbon vs pound of carbon other gases win.

Most of the scarp cutters I see use propane bottles they fill up where ever and liquid oxygen dewars.

Personally, I use propane for everything except oxy/fuel welding in which I use acetylene.
Incidently, I worked for one of the major industrial gas suppliers for years in which I got my supplies for free.

Edited by Charlotte

Actualy you can use propane for everything except welding. I would keep your propane setup and either get another setup with acetylene or an acetylene tank for your current setup. It is great to have two torch setups. I recomend a "b" tank for acetylene, as they are owner tanks and can be filled at plumbing supliers as well as welding supliers.
Propane is just so much better for cutting and heating that to me it wouldn't make sense to abandon it.

Hi. I have tried all kinds of experiments with oxy-fuel. Oxy acetylene gas welds fine. Oxy MAPP works, although with a little more difficulty. Oxy propane somehow does not work. Too dirty or something.

Does anybody have any experience forge welding with oxy propane? I have seen posts saying that it can be done, but I have never seen it done. There is a www page on forge welding with a propane torch. It is pretty easy to follow. I tried it out, and was successful the first time. Is the oxy propane harder because the flame is too hot, too oxidizing, or what? I noticed that things burned up before they stuck. I know, I know, that often happens during forge welding, but not always ;).

G'day All
I worked with a company that made induction heating and hardening machines,we used to weld , cut 2"plate fusion weld all with Oxy / Lpg (propane ) the cleanest heat i have ever used. We didn' have oxy/accet in the factory , the only sorce was oxy / Lpg
Onya All John