I Forge Iron

Blacksmithing schools

I live in north central North Dakota. I've done SOME blacksmithing and I know the basics, but I want to get a lot better. I'm going to a one day class here in NO. Dak. on Sept 16th(it's a beginner class, but a good refresher). I have a permanant smithy set up in my shop as well as a complete mobile blacksmith set-up. The people who manage the state parks here (Fort A. Lincoln, Knife River Indian Village, etc,etc.) are wanting me to demonstrate blacksmithing at the parks next summer on a rotating basis on the weekends since I'm the only one in the area with a mobile set-up. I'm going to get a LOT of hammer time this winter, but I thought a few days attending a school would give me a good boost. This is probably more than you want to know, but I just wanted you to know the motivation behind this madness. Thanks for the reply and any other info I'll really be grateful for. Levi

Howdy Uncle Levi! #1 Tom Clark's 'Ozark School of Blacksmithing' in Potosi, Mo is an excellent school. I attended in May of '05. $670 Mon.-Fri. 2 meals p/day and room. #2 Robb Gunter's school in Moriarty, NM. M-F $800-900 room and meals extra IIRC. Frank Turley's school in Santa Fe, NM. $2500 for 2 weeks, meals and food extra. Have a friend that attended Turley's school and he spoke highly of it. Tom has a max of 10 students (that many forges) but usually limits it to 8. Tsur Sadan, the instructor, will stay and do demo's after class if students want to stay. You can also stay a 'play in the fire' if so inclined til LATE!

There is no particular order of these, I just listed as they came to mind. Do a Google search on these and as mentioned in above post check out the ABANA site. Good luck and have fun!

Don't forget IForgeIron

IForgeIron has over 300 Blueprints showing you step-by-step how to make tools, jigs, and projects.

The IFI forum is a wonderful resource for asking questions, getting answers from folks who are willing to help you improve your skills, and KNOW which end of the steel is hot.

The Problem Solving section of the IForgeiron forum is just the place to ask those questions.

southeast, yes, but it still seems a little ridiculous to refer to the middle of the country as the west. I realize the term dates from back before the west half of the us was discovered and settled, but it still rubs me the wrong way. No offense meant to anyone, btw.

HELLO LEVI
THER ARE SOME 320 ASSORTED SCHOOLS FOR BLACKSMITHING IN THE USA
CALL ABANA THEY 'LL GIVE U THE LIST.
I MISELF GIVE CLASSES AT THE ''CENTER FOR METAL ART '' CHESTER FLOFIDA NY A BASIC /COMPREHENSIVE CLASS AND ADVANCE/TOOL FORGING CLASS. U CAN CALL ED MACK 845-651-7550 OR GO ON iceforge | fine architectural metalsmiths
AND GET THE INFORMATION. I AM COMING TO TEACH THE FIRST CLASS ON OCTOBER 9 TH
REGARDS
URI HOFI