I Forge Iron

Photos of BAWA's workshop.

I'm having another go at uploading some photos of our workshop so that those who are interested can see where we get up to mischief. A couple of photos show our 100 lb. Bradley helve hammer. This was completely restored several years ago and is still used today. The brick forge that Michael (Mr. Smith) is working at, is our main forge. This is a double forge. We have five other forges, to make a total of seven. Our shop measures approx. 12 metres X 6.5 metres. In the old language, thats about 39 ft. X 21 ft. Regards, Brian.

438.attach

439.attach

440.attach

441.attach

442.attach

443.attach

Crackers
The shop still looks great and so do the members! Wish I could visit you all again, but my son has just left on long slow trip east, so a trip west is not likely soon. Mark C. who I met in Seatle, rang me about making gum nuts and gum leaves. I told him that you knew all about making leaves! so expect him some sunday soon.
Best regards to all. Graeme.

The helve hammer can be dangerous if not used correctly. All forging is done standing at either side of the hammer and not in front, as standing in front of the hammer, one risks being hit in the head by the helve! We have a rule in place that states that there must be at least two people in the shop before the hammer can be used. We operate it regularly, including during the Perth Royal Show and haven't had any problems with the department of occupational safety, health & welfare. As for insurance, the building is owned by the Royal Agricultural Society, so they are responsible for the building's insurance. BAWA has it's own insurance in place, to cover members.

We at BAWA are very grateful to have the use of this workshop. The Royal Agricultural Society give us the use of the shop totally rent free, on the condition that we have it open every day of the Perth Royal Show, to demonstrate the craft of blacksmithing to the general public. The show runs for eight days, late Sept. early Oct. each year. At all other times during the year, with the exception of a few days, we have access to the shop every day of the week. How good a deal is that!!!? WE really are very lucky. We hope to post some photos here of this year's Royal Show.
Regards, Brian.

we have a core group of about a dozen smiths that show up regularly

Gee you're lucky Mr Smith, We have a membership that's fluctuated from 120 down to 60 or 70 and back again over the years and have a "core group" I would generously estimate at half a dozen.

I put it down to the overwhelming diversity of interest in "blacksmithing". What ever the committee do it will never entice everyone to get together at the same time. Strangely, it would seem, banging hot metal doesn't seem to be the common theme of the interest. Maybe the committee should reconsider what they offer as far as why we should all get together....now now, moosn't groomble!