I Forge Iron

Just checking in

Dano50

Been lurking around for quite some time trying to learn as much as I can. By profession, I am a CPA specializing in Taxation (corporate, succession planning and such). Grew up the son of a telephone repairman and eldest of six. Put my self through college and grad school working at various professions (warehouseman, drywaller, etc).

Over the past couple years I have wanted to learn a "trade," one that appeals to my artistic and frugal nature...creating things out of virtually nothing. I am starting to get excited since some of this is starting to come together.

So far I have gathered several components, all beginner and all thanks to you all's information: my "anvil" is a 3 1/2 square by 12 inch long piece of steel I had angle iron attached by a friend to act as legs to hold the 3 1/2 square end up for striking; this weekend I am building my truck brake drum forge. I have a 3 foot section of light rail which I may try and turn into another striking surface. I may have to rely on your suggestion as to how to shape. A couple hammers (small ball peen and 2 lb sledge), some left over iron/steel from a tractor shop and I may be able to play.

I will continue to read as much as I can and I thank you all for your knowledge and input.

Frosty;

Glad I de-lurked, once again. I think the last post I had was when I was actually 50.

Now, as far as a project...hmmm...right now I need to find a cheap hair dryer; over the weekend I destroyed the one I had. Seems since I tried to cut out the heating element, the blower wouldn't work...go figure. Wife won't even let me glance at her good one.

Right now i just want to get some material really, really hot and smash the snot out of it to see how it reacts. Eventually I may want to try my hand at a wrought iron "look" fence for the side of the house (maybe a 10 foot expanse), some gardening tools out of auto truck springs, a cutting implement for the tules by the river, and, of course, annoy my neighbor with the clear ringing of hammer on metal (not really, neighbor is pretty cool).

The end "products", to me, are seemingly less important than the interest in the process, heating, striking and hardening with all the scientific discovery that may entail.

... Right now i just want to get some material really, really hot and smash the snot out of it to see how it reacts.

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have good hand to eye coordination and a high interest.

Two suggestions:
- check to see if there is a local blacksmithing group near you. A little bit of hands on instruction can save a lot of time and effort.
- get hold of some modeling-clay. It has the same reaction to being hit, as hot iron. Easier to experiment with and safe. :D