I Forge Iron

Hello iforgeiron community .)

Aral

Sorry for the eventually misplaced post, but i havent seen the "introduce yourself" subforum .)

My name is Peter and I am a 20 year old student from Croatia, i study in our capital, but i used to live, and still live at a really small town during the holidays.
Well, i have been interested in blacksmithing for a few years now, it started with a bit of a sword obsession, but then, after realizing that swordsmithing is not something you can start doing right away, i got more interested in blacksmithing in general, and swordsmithing is a far goal someday.

So, basically, i could only practice blacksmithing during the summer and winter holidays. Since i am studying, and therefore broke almost all the time :), i do not have the money to invest seriously in blacksmithing now, especially in an anvil. I am currently looking for an used anvil in my town, but most of the people that have it, won't sell it because it has sentimental value them, because it belonged to their parents.
I am currently in the process of making a small brake drum forge, and i have an almost finished a rail road anvil(its standing vertically and weighs around 25 kg), i finished the top (except welding something like a hardy-hole) and i just need to bolt it to a piece of wood.

I know any of this is not exactly good, but i think its a small start, until i can get a real anvil somewhere cheap .)

Well, thats all from me, i am looking forward to learning from your forums :)

Welcome aboard Peter, glad to have you.

There's nothing wrong with a RR rail anvil and brake drum forge, I worked with much less for years. Still, it's nice to have tools designed for a craft even if you can improvise.

If you'll click "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location it can make a big difference. IFI is represented by members from more than 50 countries and a lot of info is location specific.

Heck, you're not our only member in Croatia and you might be neighbors but you'd never know if s/he doesn't know where you are.

Frosty

Thanks guys .) (and girls :))
I tried a to forge a bit yesterday, although my tools arent complete, but since im going away tommorow (exams /sigh), i just wanted to try it once.
I am pretty satisfied with the RR anvil, even though i havent bolted it to a piece of wood yet, but my forge is not so good. I knew it wouldnt be good, because the firepot is really small, the brake drum is a really small one, because the only larger one i could find was from a pretty large truck, and it had a huge hole in the middle, something like 60% or more of the outer radius. So, im stuck with this small one (around 20 cm diameter i think) until i find a new one.
I used petrolcoke, since i could have an unlimited ammount of that available to me for free or at a low price, but its pretty hard to start up with a torch, and smells a bit bad, but gives a pretty hot flame.
Well, see you around here when i learn the basics and come swarming the forums with loads of questions :)