I Forge Iron

Old welder and ... family politics

The rest of the pics, again about 800K per pic, 2048x1536.

The plug holes read:
left holes (3)
--
30-60
Amp
--
35-80
Amp
--
45-100
Amp
--

Right holes

--
Low
--
High
--

I literally stuck my camera inside to get a couple of the pictures.

The stinger and ground wires are rough with surface cracking, but there is no exposed wire other than the end by the ground clamp. I feel that these are adequate for testing, but replacing is an option. I am not trying to do production welding with this machine. I still need to pull a circuit to the garage, so I only have regular 15 amp outlets currently. The dryer circuit will not be helpful either. I may be able to test at my neighbors, I think he has a 50A outlet in his garage.

I will buy a mask before I try to test, any recommendations on welding masks for a hobbyist?

Should I just cut the 4 prong end off and put a 50A end on? While I intend to replace the whole cord, I am interested in getting this working for testing, and will need to make an extension cord later anyways.

If I understand this correct, the ground goes into "low" or "high" and the stinger goes into one of the three left side holes, selecting the amperage.

Taking it down to pieces parts so I can paint is likely if it works.

Thank you, everybody for the assistance.

Phil

post-9443-12716986413058_thumb.jpg

post-9443-12716986516503_thumb.jpg

post-9443-12716986617234_thumb.jpg

post-9443-12716986722238_thumb.jpg

post-9443-12716986810504_thumb.jpg

post-9443-12716986911363_thumb.jpg

post-9443-12716986986493_thumb.jpg

post-9443-12716987081375_thumb.jpg

post-9443-12716987128423_thumb.jpg

post-9443-12716987174659_thumb.jpg

IT LIVES!!!
Calling it a "buzzbox" is the truth. I..um..discovered that the outlets on opposite sides of the garage are separate legs on separate circuits. I cut the whole 4 prong mess off of the cable on the welder, I determined that it is not working proper with an volt/ohms meter. Everything up to that plug was shorted together. I then "hotwired" into 2 extension cords and gave a try. All taps work, but I could not get a sustained arc with 1/8 inch rod on "Low" on "high" I got a nice bead on the highest setting, 100A, on a piece of 1x1/4 a36. I guess 10 years of not welding didn't do me too wrong. I was able to run a poor bead on the 80A setting too. After burning one stick, I disconnected everything and put it away.

As for a hood, I got a cheap hood with a big viewing panel. I will get a better hood later, probably a self tinting. Shops with welders should have at least 2 hoods for various reasons.

I will pull a circuit to run this on, and have been planning to do so for a while.

So...what is a good color to paint it?

Phil

old welders never die they just keep on buzzin, they don't make them like that anymore

Yes they do die. place I worked had an old dialarc HF 250. One day I started seeing reflected sparks in my hood.
Got one of the guys to watch. He says you watch now. Looked like a cutting torch under the welder. The main transformer(copper) was melting. Finished the part and it was still working. 4weeks and $780 later I got it back.
Bought it when they closed. Used it in my own shop for 2yrs then upgraded to an older 330 A/BP.
Ken.

• 2 years later...

So after returning the welder, getting it back, having MASSIVE squirrel damage to my garage, stripped the paneling, shoveled and vacuumed out over 60 gallons of walnut shell, trash and dozens of squirrel skeletons, wrestling a piece of 3-3-3-6 copper through conduit under my house to the mains, installing a 100A sub panel in the garage, repairing the 2x4's that were CHEWED through (squirrels...), installing insulation in the stripped garage walls, then pulling a piece of #6 OVER the garage ceiling, hung 7/16 OSB paneling on the walls... I have proper power and this machine runs SWEET!

My garage looks awesome on the inside too...still only space for my wife's car though.

I just welded together some thinwall steel pipe for my new forge tue. I was having less headache and better fill with 3/32 6011 at 60A than with the 1/16 6013 at 30A. The pipe is about 1/16 inch wall thickness. (and non-kosher tricks sometimes make up for skill, especially with burn through and a second rod...)

This pipe will get welded to a piece of 3/8 that gets bolted to the bottom of the firepot my brother made for me. I am trying to decide on using the grate he cut (CNC plasma cutters are awesome) or making a triangular ash dump...

And my wife is pleased with how the garage turned out!

Phil