I Forge Iron

Anyang 165 foundation

I had installed my 165 Anyang on a short base to get the right working height, then the base on the normal 5 to 6" concrete foundation. When I would do heavy hitting, the foundation should shake, so it was clear that I needed to isolate the hammer foundation from the building foundation. I started by lifting the hammer out of the way, then rented a concrete saw. I cut as many different cuts as I could, then rented a jack hammer. Luckly, William Stoddard, a local blacksmith and friend heard about the project and came over to help run the jack hammer. I now have all of the concrete out and will use a post hole digger on the back of a tractor to drill as many holes as I can, then start digging out the dirt. I am planning on going about 4 ft. deep for the foundation, and also use 1/2" rubber stall mat material as a spacer to seperate the concrete of the hammer foundation from the building. Will show more pictures as the project progresses.

16474.attach

16475.attach

James,

You may want to consder putting the hammer on a timber pad to help with shock loading. My Bradley is on 10.5" of hardwood timber with 5 feet of concrete under it and, while it still shakes a little, it's not bad. You probably wounldn't need as much concrete or timber for your hammer since mine is a two piece machine with a larger ram, but the pinciples are the same.

Patrick

James, ill run through isolating foundations in this thread when I get a bit of time next week, its simple enough, but quite a few tricks to doing it well. Ill done a few hammers over the years, and achieved 98% attenuation on a 3 ton arch hammer once !

The slab I made for my 88lber is roughly 8'x8' and 18" deep.With the 500lbs of rebar I added to just over 3yds of concrete it weighs over 6500lbs.It has made a good base for the hammer,very solid.With you going down 4' I am sure you will be happy wth the results.I don't know the price of concrete in Texas but mine was $660,hope yours is cheaper.I guess waiting for the concrete to cure will seem like forever.